ribs

Guess Holmes won't need to reply to this one.... :)

Try these....

Ingredients:

500ml tin of crushed pineapple
1/2 bottle BBQ sauce (use your favourite one)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup soy sauce
2-3 shots Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp Thai chili sauce
1 chopped white onion
Pepper to taste
2 Racks of Pork ribs cut into 2-3 bone segments.

Directions:
1. Mix all ingredients, except the ribs, together in a large bowl
2. Cover the bottom of an ungreased baking pan with sauce
3. Add ribs
4. Pour remaining sauce over ribs.
5. Cook for 2 hours at low heat @ 300 degrees Fahrenheit
6. Cook for 2 hours at low heat @ 250 degrees Fahrenheit

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this from Mike from BCFR

Ribs

Get as many whole racks of side or back ribs as you need.
Cut each full rack in half.

Season with salt, pepper... whatever floats yer boat. I like a Montreal steak spice seasoning.

Wrap each 1/2 rack tightly in foil, with an a couple of thin orange slices under each slab.

Put them into your conventional oven at 375 degrees for an hour and a quarter. FAT SIDE UP!

Remove from the oven and set them out for about an hour.
DO NOT REMOVE FOIL. Let them sit for awhile.

Fire up your gas grill, medium heat, and NOW remove the foil.

Put the ribs on the grille fat side DOWN for a few minutes, until it gets a tad crispy. Flip them over and NOW add whatever bbq sauce you like.

I'd say 10 minutes or so each side will get 'em done, and your guests will think that somehow, you have managed to create TENDER, JUICY ribs on your gas grille, when that is a near impossibility.

By essentially cooking them in the conventional oven in foil, they'll be juicy as can be, damn near done. The grille is to give them the bbq flavor and some crispiness on the outside, and carmelizing the bbq sauce just a bit.

It's our secret. Just don't invite anyone over from this forum. They'll know what yer up to.

You can pick up the ribs and shake them, and the meat will fall off.

BFM's is pretty good... use it often ;)

I might add, remove the membrane on the back of the ribs. Its not "good eats" and causes the ribs to curl up. I think all good rib recipes have thing in common, cook them low and slow with moisture. Either covered in the oven or simmered in a pot - then finish with high(er) heat(bbQ, oven or broiler).

I like to chop up onions, carrots, garlic and celery sautee in a pot big enough to hold the ribs. Once you'e sweated the veggies a bit throw in your ribs, a bottle of beer and a bottle of rib sauce - simmer until falling off the bone. Carefully pull them out and reduce pot liquid its a thick sauce - finish on the BBQ, basting with the sauce you've made.

Steve's Dry rub on the prepared ribs (google the rub). Remove the membrane before applying the rub.
wrap the ribs in saran wrap and plave in the fridge over night.
Remove the wrap and place on smoker rack and place in the smoker for 4-5 hours. Smoke with apple, its the best for pork, but you can try other woods.
When the ribs are done, take them out and place them in the BBq to "crisp" them up.
Serve with sweet potatoe fries done in the oven and salad.

Cheers

SS

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363144530.826807.jpg

I'm sure those fancy-shmancy ribs recipes are delicious...I like simple. Remove membrane, wrap in tin foil with Bullseye sauce, put in fridge overnight. Stick in oven at 275 for 3 hours then finish off on BBQ with fresh sauce brushed on...normally after the oven I freeze them to take boating and finish off on the bbq as in this picture.

View attachment 6387

I'm sure those fancy-shmancy ribs recipes are delicious...I like simple. Remove membrane, wrap in tin foil with Bullseye sauce, put in fridge overnight. Stick in oven at 275 for 3 hours then finish off on BBQ with fresh sauce brushed on...normally after the oven I freeze them to take boating and finish off on the bbq as in this picture.

I agree, when you want ribs, sometimes you want then quick and easy, a smoker or indirect heat is quite a process.

YES you can boil !!!!actually simmer what that does is gets alot of the fat off so you dont get flare ups . I make a mire-piox which consists of lots of herbs rosemary being my fav,carrots,celery,onions skins,garlic and I cheat a bit with a bit of concentrated soup base, simmer not boil for about to 30 to an hour sometimes longer depending on how tender the meat is if you jab a knife in and it slips of easily then there done and like people have said indirect heating.

I do the same for moose, and deer but they take sometimes up to 3 hours i have a huge pots and a "camp chef" stove and after all the stock is created I reduce it down to make a really potent stock which i freeze for soups and gravy etc for later use.
its the only way to get off all that fat, I then freeze in portion zip locks and haul em out when I want ribs sometimes with 2 moose its a TON of ribs to prep but very easy to do.

I use bullseye with a 1/2 cup of jack Daniels mixed in mmmmmmm

Good luck Wolf

YES you can boil !!!!actually simmer what that does is gets alot of the fat off so you dont get flare ups . I make a mire-piox which consists of lots of herbs rosemary being my fav,carrots,celery,onions skins,garlic and I cheat a bit with a bit of concentrated soup base, simmer not boil for about to 30 to an hour sometimes longer depending on how tender the meat is if you jab a knife in and it slips of easily then there done and like people have said indirect heating.

I do the same for moose, and deer but they take sometimes up to 3 hours i have a huge pots and a "camp chef" stove and after all the stock is created I reduce it down to make a really potent stock which i freeze for soups and gravy etc for later use.
its the only way to get off all that fat, I then freeze in portion zip locks and haul em out when I want ribs sometimes with 2 moose its a TON of ribs to prep but very easy to do.

I use bullseye with a 1/2 cup of jack Daniels mixed in mmmmmmm

Good luck Wolf

Of course you can boil or simmer them in any liquid, does not mean you should. It is a matter of personal preference.

Here is what I do......and they turn out amazingly "fall off the bone" moist.

I first rub the ribs in a dry rub. I use as a base when making the rub a "Hawaiian Coffee Rub" to which I add cracked pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme and sometimes chili flakes. (the coffee rub base is kind of a steak type seasoning with coffee added to it so you could use Montreal Steak Spice or something like that if you choose). I let the ribs sit overnight or at least 8 hours in the dry rub. If you are going to let the ribs sit for a while in the dry rub.....try to avoid using salt as much as possible to keep it from drawing any moisture out; you will be adding moisture in the next step but I tend to avoid salt as much as possible. ;)

I have some deeper pans that have racks on them for "steaming" the ribs in the oven. I line the pans with tin foil and add a bottle of beer and some apple cider vinegar in the bottom. I then put the rack on with the ribs on top and then "tent" them with tin foil allowing for quite a bit of extra space so the foil is not right on top of the ribs. They are sealed up well and then put in the oven at about 275 for a few hours. I check them after 2 hours to see if the bones are close to being able to be pulled apart from the meat "clean". Doing them this way there is no need to take off the skin on the underside as you'll never notice it is on there. Cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the ribs but basically do them until the bones "could" be pulled off clean.....a quick pull and you'll know right away when they are ready.

Once they are done I coat them liberally with a BBQ sauce and finish them on a low heat on the BBQ to get a bit of caramelization on the sauce. Then......serve away! They will be a bit wet/gooey as these aren't really a "dry" rib.

I make my own BBQ sauce as well and to the extent I go all depends on the time I have. I will start from scratch sometimes with mirepoix and some garlic sweating out to start with some fresh herbs....usually thyme and sometimes a bit of rosemary. To that I add ketchup (or a tomato sauce), tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, molasses, honey, soya sauce, worchestershire, brown sugar garlic powder, onion powder, cracked pepper, allspice, dried mustard and sometimes chili flakes for some zing. It simmers for quite a while to reduce and sometimes I will add in some bourbon or dark rum to kick it up as well. ( I have no idea as to how much I add as I make it to taste and add as I see fit.;))

I then strain it out mostly to remove the chunks of mirepoix.....which when straining I give a quick rinse of the mirepoix with some veal/beef stock or even chicken stock. You are in essence adding in liquid so it goes back on the stove to reduce until you have a nice thick consistency. Give it a taste and see what you think at this point....you can easily add in hot sauce, molasses or any of the other ingredients if your palate prefers more sweetness, spiciness or even more pepper or seasoning.

You can also just use your favourite store bought sauce right out of the bottle or doctor it up which is what I do if I am feeling a bit lazy.

Once it's to the taste I am looking for I let it cool down and preferably sit for a day to let the flavours combine really nicely.

Then the ribs get basted with the sauce on top, bottom, sides......cover em all up and then they hit the grill low and slow. You'll know you've done them right when you are clearing up after dinner and all the bones are squeaky clean as no meat will have stuck to them at all and people can eat them with a fork and don't need to gnaw on the bone at all to clean them off.

These turn out great this way......I have SO many requests to make these especially in the summer if we are having company over for dinner. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
WHEN you say NEVER that means NEVER just like no means no ive been a chef for over 25 years i think i have some knowledge on this ill always simmer them as its the best and effective way to break down the connective tissue ESPECIALLY in game meats...
MY personal preference......BUT just dont do plain water it has to be a stock as you want to inject flavors into meat not blanch them out.....

I boil my ribs in cola for 1-1/2 hours before hitting the grill. Awesome flavor and boiling them will break down the tougher tissue :) I make lots of new friends with my ribs haha

Just came back from Mexico where I had to improvise cooking ribs because I didn't have access to a smoker. Here's how I made them in the oven then finished off on the barbeque. Delicious!

4 racks babyback ribs
Ray “Dr. BBQ” Lampe Rub #68 (recipe follows)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup apple juice
¼ cup butter
Barbeque sauce (honey based is best, but any commercial grade will do)
Preparation:
Removemembrane from back of ribs. Apply rub toboth sides of ribs, wrap in saran wrap and put in fridge for up to 8 hours, butat least for one hour. Preheat oven to300 degrees. Wrap ribs in aluminum foiland cook for 1 ½ hours. Remove from ovenand carefully open tin foil to expose top of ribs. Apply equal amounts of butter, brown sugar,honey and apple juice to each rack of ribs. Seal the aluminum foil and put back in oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven. Ribs can be cooled and put in fridge at thispoint to finish later. To finish: Grill ribs on barbeque for approximately 10to 15 minutes basting with BBQ sauce being careful not to burn barbeque sauce. Remove and enjoy!!!!!
Ray “Dr. BBQ” Lampe Rub#68
½ cup packedlight brown sugar
1/3 cup kosher salt
¼ cup paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon Sugar in the Raw
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all theingredients in a bowl and mix well. The rub may be stored in an airtightcontainer in a cool place for up to 6 months.

effective way to break down the connective tissue ESPECIALLY in game meats...

Most racks of pork side or back ribs are not game meats.

If I were trying to cook wild game, I agree with you, boil the **** outta them to break down the connective tissue.

Remove the membrane on the back side. Use mustard or balsamic vinegar reduction for glue, and apply your favorite rub (I love plow boys yardbird, or big poppa smokers money) load the rub on them and let it start to 'sweat'. Set the smoker to 250 degrees and let them ride for two hours. Don't peek. After two hours foil em with loads of honey and brown sugar and a touch more rub. Let em ride for another hour. After that you can baste em with your favorite bbq sauce. I like blues hog. Let the sauce tighten up and get ready to win some rib competitions.

Back