Repowering New power.? Make and HP??

scotty

Morning everyone, WONDERING what power options I should be looking at? Quite possibly repowering a 2901 striper and curious what everyone would power it with?
First: Mercury, Yamaha, Suzuki, ????
Second: 250hp, 300hp
Reasons:??
Looking forward to people’s comments😂

300’s and whatever has the best service near you
I have 300 Yamahas on my boat right now and they have been unreal but might make a switch cause of the service I get from other places who don’t even sell Yamaha
If there was a suzuki dealer near me it would be a no brainer for myself

yammy, mercs or tohatsus have never let me down.
go for yammy if you care about resale value.

This is a bit of a ford/ Chev type argument.

I'd go with whatever local dealer you have the best relationship with.

250/300 are the same block in each brand. I'd go 250-300 Merc based on availability (it's tough to get big power). I wouldn't get hung up on the hp numbers, it'll be tough to notice the difference until you get up above 5000rpm. That's a big boat so I want the largest displacement I can get (the Merc), and an eco enertia prop. Suzuki would be my number # 2 option. I don't love the big yam but I did get 1700h out of the yam 300 and it lives on over 2k in different hands so I ain't slagging them.

The v10 is intriguing but it's new and your not big enough to need it. A 330 express does just fine with a set of 300s so I don't see why you'd need bigger power.

One thing that is interesting with those new v10 mercs is the 48v optional charger. Are we one step away from a 48v motor between the powerhead and the gear case? Wtf knows but it's not something I have heard of a 48v option from any others.

Anyway I sure hope this doesn't go the way of 2 stroke vs 4 stroke thread.

Bottom line for me would be to go with whomever can sell and service you best in your area.

We live in the mainland and can’t get any mercs from bridgeview until 2024. Have a buddy who has inquired with A friend on the island and can get a pretty damn good deal on a set of 250 or 300hp mercs. Just haven’t asked about warranty work if any. Can it be completed at a different shop??? Really don’t want to travel on BC ferries for warranty work.
Looking at the DTS 250 mercs with the enertia props.
The twin 225 HP we currently have aren’t enough power IMO.

Mercury warranty work can be done at other dealers. Just had some work done at Bridgeview on a boat that was purchased at LA Marine. Warranties are also transferable for a fee.

Max Hp label on boat says 500Hp. I have heard insurance is void if Hp exceeds max.

I'd look at a pair of 250hp v8 mercs...ya inlet marine and I have had chris and his guys do work there too. They do the rigging for new axxopars etc and sell lots of merc verados here in Vancouver. My experience was electrical as they sold and installed my garmin and the lewmar windlass.

Last edited:
Have an old Suzuki 140. Bulletproof.
Yamaha's, had a 350 that exploded. Also one of twin Yammi 200s that didn't hold up very well.
The Suzuki, like 12 years old now, still going strong.
On my Newest-to-me boat it came with twin Suzuki 350s with dual props. WOW. Can't believe the different they make handling at low speed around the dock. No comparison to my twin Yamahas.

They are a bit louder though

We live in the mainland and can’t get any mercs from bridgeview until 2024. Have a buddy who has inquired with A friend on the island and can get a pretty damn good deal on a set of 250 or 300hp mercs. Just haven’t asked about warranty work if any. Can it be completed at a different shop??? Really don’t want to travel on BC ferries for warranty work.
Looking at the DTS 250 mercs with the enertia props.
The twin 225 HP we currently have aren’t enough power IMO.
Not exactly the same, but, I went from a F225 2003 Yamaha to a new F250 three years ago. The difference between the 225 to a 250 was material. It’s a big power difference going up 25 HP on a 23 ft boat particularity on the hole shot. X 2 I think you’ll feel the difference. Also, just a thought, I wonder if dealers like Sherwood in Sannich would service the boat in Sidney at the dock or pickup the boat in Sidney with their trailer?

Not exactly the same, but, I went from a F225 2003 Yamaha to a new F250 three years ago. The difference between the 225 to a 250 was material. It’s a big power difference going up 25 HP on a 23 ft boat particularity on the hole shot. X 2 I think you’ll feel the difference. Also, just a thought, I wonder if dealers like Sherwood in Sannich would service the boat in Sidney at the dock or pickup the boat in Sidney with their trailer?
I believe if you got to the emissions ratings Yamaha's 225 overstates actual power(more like 215) and the 250 understates and is closer to 260.

So it's an apparent 25 hp improvement but an actual 35 hp improvement. I can't find the exact data to confirm with the newer 4.2 yammies, but I believe the same is true.
The difference between to f225 and f250 is more than 25hp, at least in the older ones. The 225 is overrated and apparently makes around 215. 250 is the opposite and closer to 260. The 300 is also on low end of advertised.

Apparently they only need to be within 10% of advertised HP. I can't find the exact info right now but have seen it lots.

Back