Remedies for Rockfish stings?

Wildhootchy

Last year while fishing the surf line outside of Barkley (not in the forbidden zone) we caught some rockfish and yelloweye. I decided to fillet a few and have them for dinner. While cleaning a rockfish (that I assumed was dead) it suddenly flipped and a quill penetrated my finger. Needless to say, I was in pain for about 45 minutes. An "Old Salt" once told me that I should pee in a bucket and submerge the puncture in the urine and it would relieve the pain. Sorry but I was in too much pain to think about peeing in a bucket. I did manage to throw back a shot of Rye and followed that up with a cold Kokanee. It did help, but I am looking for any remedies that fellow fishermen have used to ease the pain. I'm sure that there are a few of you that have had the same thing happen. I would love to hear your remedies.

I heard if works better if your fishing partner pisses on it... But in reality, when I was younger it happened to a buddy, it swelled up pretty bad and he ended up having to get the wound drained by the doc. Not sure what you can do by yourself, maybe do a google search?

Dude,

although I'm new on this forum...I have felt your pain many times over the decades. And so has my sweetheart, she stuck her finger with a rock monster too and a fella told her to cut the eye of the rock cod and rub the clear liquid on her finger.

Within a short period of time the pain was gone!! It works Wildhootchy and I wished I knew this trick when I inserted a yellow eye quill in my hand...wow my whole arm swelled up and throbbed for hours before getting better.

The reason that it hurts so bad is the enzymes from the fish mixing with your blood and flesh. They do not mix well to say the least. The only thing that will help is to rinse rinse rinse. Maybe the eyeball juice helps rinse the wound but im thinking i would rather rinse out a wound with water rather than cod eyeballs. Anyone that tells you its theres poison in the quills is talking shyte

I once had a young yahoo guest kicking rockfish around the boat in what I thought was a dissrespecting manor. Eventually, he took a big ventral fin spike deep into his big toe! I didn't bother to tell him about the eye juice trick but it does work well.

Yep, like Fog Ducker said, poke the fish in the eye and rub the fluid on the sting. It's a natural antidote.

Dave

An eye for an eye!

For anyone that doubts that rockfish have venom in their spines:

http://content.cdlib.org/view?docId=kt8z09n9rg&brand=calisphere&doc.view=entire_text

Wow, interesting article Bait Ban and thanks for sharing that. I have always thought there must be some sort of venom in rockcod and yelloweye snappers. Man, when I was a kid fishing with my Dad, I lost my balance and fell backwards, driving a red snapper quill into my heel. In a short period of time the pain and swelling had climbed right up my leg and lasted most of the day. It still hurt abit the next day too and I have always respected those quills ever since.

But now, I would use the fluid from their eyes to minimize the effects from the quills!!

Never doubted it just never saw the proof. That is very interesting and a good read.

i got a jelly fish in my eye a couple years ago and had to go into the er to get it removed. Got into some bsing with doctor on staff about these sorts fo things and remedies which you can do when not at the hosptial. I assume this would apply to rockfish stings aswell
1) DONT **** on it. it wont hurt you, but it will not help ATALL no matter what old timers say. He said doctors **** themselves laughing when they hear of guys doing that to themselves.
2) DONT rinse with fresh water, only rinse with saltwater. the fresh water agitates the toxis (in my case tenticles) even more and releases more toxins.
3) The best thing to rinse with is white vinegar.

Stingrays have a barb with venom several inches long, in Africa, if you get stabbed they hold a spark plug lead on the wound, (with the engine running). I have never seen this done but heard it is a common method of stopping the pain instantly. Not sure how long you do this for and at how many RPMs
I deny any responsibility whatsover for this great advice, and for those in "California", Warning, this method may cause cancer and birth defects!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back