Registering boat without paperwork

Yes I've heard this a few times. Thats why I have a physical and digital backup copy of the ICBC papers showing I paid the 12% for the full amount. I also sent a copy along with all the other paper work they requested. I'm sure they'll still try to get another 12% from me.
It’s pretty straight forward from the ICBC part, a least I never had a problem. I just wasn’t sure if you were thinking that the trailer was the only thing taxed. Some people don’t realize there is a bill for the boat etc still to come, and it takes a while.

Pretty crappy that you get dinged for 12% every time the boat changes hands. Same with used vehicles. PST is 7% but the cash grab is 12% and I'm sure the feds don't get the 5%. BC sales taxes on used private sales is a huge ripoff. And if you bring a used boat trailer back from AB, ICBC wants another $80 or $90 fee for a few days, just to allow you to transport the trailer back and then soak you again for the actual registration, plate and insurance. Way to treat your taxpaying residents. BC should just do the registraion and leave the insurance to the private sector where there is some competition.

Last edited:
Back