Red Rock Crab

J-GLOBAL

Just cooked up and ate my first Red Rock Crabs (LARGE).

Steamed them for 20 minutes.

Shells were HARD HARD HARD, and the meat stuck to the inside of the shells, a bit difficult to crack and have the meat stay intact.

Did I undercook? Overcook?
Or is that just the "Rock" in red ROCK crab?

Fishin' anywhere anytime for anything

I agree that 10 minutes steaming is sufficient. Their shells are naturally a little tougher than the shells of Dungeness.

I steamed three large Dungeness last night, 10 minutes on the nose and they were excellent. If you cook them anything longer, they will be over done and the meat will stick to the shell. SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

MMM :)
We ate two big Dungeness last night too, SO delicious, and our ONLY success for this weekend.

I have found that if Crab is sticking, it seems at certain times of the year more than anything...to refresh them in ICY cold water after cooking for a little less time and they will peel right out.

that is what they do back east for lobster.

Just my 2 cents

Getbent

Boil 20 minutes whole or 10 minutes back off. Best flavour if boiled in fresh sea water with backs on!

I always remove their shells and clean out all the crap and gills before cooking, then place in icy water after 10 minutes of boiling.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

Boil 20 minutes whole or 10 minutes back off. Best flavour if boiled in fresh sea water with backs on!
I boil for 15 minutes, but hey what do I know! :)

Ten minutes with the cold water immersion is the ticket, but at the best of times, the body meat will be gelatinous compared to a Dungeness. The claw meat is the prime attraction.

I go ten minutes from the second boil whole crab not cleaned. For the flavor. I do cook them upside down though, then cool in cold water upside down. I only eat a couple a year so I am not worried about contamination. It's funny that some people are worried about the contamination from cooking crab whole but they will eat a 25-50 year old cod.

Cheers,
FA

Back