Green Crab Invasion

Rockfish

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/...bbles-key-species-in-island-waters-1.24172796

I crab fish in the Sooke Basin and so far have not caught any Green Crabs; just Dungys, Red Rocks and the rare large Spider Crab. There should be no limit on Green Crabs and they should not be included in your total daily limit. If not DFO, needs to do that Reg. change ASAP and or make it clear that we should take all Green Crab that get caught, unless that is already the case. Perhaps the word is out to kill all the Green Crabs and I am not aware of it and it occurs to me that perhaps they are not large enough to be retained in our traps.

Last edited:
Lots in Sooke basin, I see them along the shoreline whenever I look. No larger than 4”, usually smaller.

I sell bait (mackerel) to a research group studying the green crab invasion of Dungeness spit...i've heard the immigrants originated in Sooke basin and March across the SJDF....does anyone know how (and when) they first showed up in Sooke?

I sell bait (mackerel) to a research group studying the green crab invasion of Dungeness spit...i've heard the immigrants originated in Sooke basin and March across the SJDF....does anyone know how (and when) they first showed up in Sooke?

The article says it is thought the invasion started in the San Francisco area in 1989 and then moved north.

Last night at Cates park a group of guys were taking home three inch crabs. Four guys got a garbage bag full. I was sure they were poaching, but is it possible they were removing invasive green crabs. If you walk from little Cates to big Cates along the beach on most weekend nights you'll see guys using folding traps, keeping them typically in a garbage bag. I didn't call the fisheries because maybe they're green crabs. Any thoughts?

Last night at Cates park a group of guys were taking home three inch crabs. Four guys got a garbage bag full. I was sure they were poaching, but is it possible they were removing invasive green crabs. If you walk from little Cates to big Cates along the beach on most weekend nights you'll see guys using folding traps, keeping them typically in a garbage bag. I didn't call the fisheries because maybe they're green crabs. Any thoughts?
No. Definitely video them next time and call fisheries and the police.

Not saying this in any kind of offensive way, but tell the Asian people that they’re good to eat with no bag limits, they’ll be wiped out quickly :rolleyes:
You really don't understand poacher mentality. You'd have to make them illegal to catch, therefore making them a status symbol, and THEN they'll take them all. It's like if you want to get rid of an old piece of furniture in East Van. Put it on the curb and instead of a "free" sign put a "for sale" sign and watch it get stolen in minutes.

Last edited:
Back