Recomondations for rod length?

Pitre

Hi all, i have a 17.5 malibu tyee any suggestions for rod length? I currently run 9' rods but have a couple of 10.5's... Thanks in advance!

i believe PNT on the island

ST can correct me if wrong

not sure on there retail but a very nice rod

just using one of them at the moment
until i get fully kitted out
the shipment is still on its way .....;)

Rod length recommendation for salmon in your boat depends on leader lengths you intend to fish, whether you fish solo or with partners, and if you are fishing for mature chinook or smaller feeders. 10.5 is best for mature springs (more shock absorber action, and mature springs are more flasher shy and like slower baits and long leaders). Feeder springs don't fight as hard and don't ccare as much about leader length, so your 9ft rods are fine for that. Fishing solo is easier to net fish with shorter rods and shorter leaders. A 9ft rod with a long 9ft leader fishing solo would also be a pain. Long rods and long leaders and quality fishing partners on the net lands the most fish.

I'm on an 18.5' boat, I run 10.5' rods on the deep lines and stack with 9' on top. During sockeye season I switch to 4 9' meat sticks

I fish from a smaller boat, 22 ft. aluminum. 10.5' rods are a little too long for me. I searched for 9' mooching rods, to use with my Islander reels. I couldn't find any with the standard mooching handles, with the reel close to the butt end. So, I got creative. I had 2 Fenwick 10.5' rods. I cut them off just where the cork ends. I took off the first guide, the hook keeper and butt cap. The length of rod fit inside the butt section pretty well. I gorilla glued it inside the butt section and with the expansion of the glue, it fit perfectly. So, I have 2 9' rods that work great for me. I might have messed up the action a little, but I have been using them for 2 years and caught a lot of salmon and trolled up a few halibut without problem. So, it works.

I fish from a 22" thunderjet aluminum as well 10'5" for us , but also have to 11'5" Loomis that we absolutely love on the boat .

Back