Rec closure for halibut............

Cuba Libre

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0768-RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) - Recreational Halibut Fishing Closure

Throughout the 2011 recreational halibut fishing season, the Department has
reviewed in-season monthly catch estimates for the recreational halibut
fishery.

Catch information indicates that the recreational share of the Total Allowable
Catch will be achieved in August.

Therefore, recreational fishing for halibut under the BC tidal water licence
will close effective 23:59 hours September 5, 2011 for the balance of the year.
2012 management actions will be developed this fall and announcements will be
made in early 2012.

Variation Order 2011 – 404 is in effect

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact: Tamee Karim 604-666-9033 or Devona Adams 604-666-3271

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0768
Sent August 22, 2011 at 12:37
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

I guess we should have expected as much, we will never win this war against DFO.
they continue to impact our fisheries negatively year after year.
they ignore the advice of the SFI as well as our local sport fishing associations.
I'm not sure what can be done.
Sad situation for sure.

Good luck with that holmes. With Halibut selling at near record prices for the last few years most halibut fishermen have deep pockets. They will fight you endlessly because the (public) resource is worth so much. Not saying they are the enemy because they are just businessmen and want to make a buck. If I had quota I most likely would fight to keep as much of it as possible as well if I owned a boat, had a crew to pay etc. As for fighting the gov't that is even more complex. I wish you luck though.

I thought you got an 80lber?

I wouldn't keep anything over 40.
It went back. Chickens are what I would eat, plus the biggers make the babies.

I'm saying I have nothing in the freezer to keep

I wanted at least one I would eat.

Duffer it was 80 ish,
The hali went back. I don't believe in taking the big ones, nor anything one wouldn't eat.

If you want to eat the big hali's full of parasites and what not I suggest you flip them on their back, white side up, for at least an hour in the boat in the sun, so the parasites fall inwards into the cavity, and come out easily during the clean, otherwise you're eating a tonne of yuck. I found far less yuck in the smaller hali which is another reason I don't take home big ones.

Then again, how would I know that, when apparantly I don't know ****, and have never caught a fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on topic.... who do you guys think will cave in to DFO and buy quota so they can keep fishing for butts after they close? I am willing to bet that some will........

Pretty Sad, Some good fishing to be had in September and October. That sure kicks me in the bag, going to be some serious disappointment. Not to surprised, but I sure did think we would get into at least October at only one a day. DFO has no clue what we have taken, not a bloody clue.

Wow, almost two weeks notice this time...

Pretty Sad, Some good fishing to be had in September and October. That sure kicks me in the bag, going to be some serious disappointment. Not to surprised, but I sure did think we would get into at least October at only one a day. DFO has no clue what we have taken, not a bloody clue.

Wow, almost two weeks notice this time...

The long notice is so we can save up and apply for more quota....... lol

The long notice is so we can save up and apply for more quota....... lol

Either that,or they know full well that the announcement will spur a little bit of a push by many to get 1 or two more. Then they will say we went way over and take more back next year.

Kind of a kick to the nuts too that the commies are still fishing until the 18th of November...

So far this year my boat has retained 4 halibut, for 4 people, semi targeting them only a couple times while bottom bouncing salmon gear.

Deffinately going to try to get one for the freezer before the end of the long weekend!

Yak

The only entities for which it may make any sense if at all to buy quota would be big lodges. However, if they do so they know very well that they will face strong opposition from the sporty community and even boycott and negative image campaigns which at these economic times no lodge can afford. So really, I can't see anyone in their right mind buying quota.

I wouldn't keep anything over 40.
It went back. Chickens are what I would eat, plus the biggers make the babies.

I'm saying I have nothing in the freezer to keep

I wanted at least one I would eat.

Duffer it was 80 ish,
The hali went back. I don't believe in taking the big ones, nor anything one wouldn't eat.

If you want to eat the big hali's full of parasites and what not I suggest you flip them on their back, white side up, for at least an hour in the boat in the sun, so the parasites fall inwards into the cavity, and come out easily during the clean, otherwise you're eating a tonne of yuck. I found far less yuck in the smaller hali which is another reason I don't take home big ones.

Then again, how would I know that, when apparantly I don't know ****, and have never caught a fish.

But you have a pic of it before you released it? sweet, dont know many that have pics of released 80 lb hali's.

But you have a pic of it before you released it? sweet, dont know many that have pics of released 80 lb hali's.

Hey Lorne GFYS.
Seems you think you know everything about everything, and anybody, yet I've never met you.

I don't know you, and you don't know me.
I don't waste my time **** talking people on an internet forum, but I don't take **** from people either, and if you've nothing better to do than assume, then I've no more time to waste on you or your few buddies who think you've got **** all figured out. I frankly don't give two ***** if you believe me or not. I don't need you as a friend. I post to help others catch fish.
Think whatever you'd like. Do you think I care if you believe anything? No not really, but I have bought a camera for future trips once I am feeling better.

Certainly don't need a few assholes making assumptions now do I?. Especially some who don't even know you, or anything about your 30 years fishing experience.

You win. You're the master of all fishing, and you've proven that you can make assumptions and **** talk people on an internet forum.

At least if I have a problem with someone I have the nuts to say something in person, and not behind a computer.

I don't need to defend **** to you buddy!.

Don't worry though. I've got the little "click" figured out, and who's talking **** as well.

None of it matters to me. I'm here for the fish, and that's about it.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont post nonsense on a public forum and expect to get way with it. Just admit you lied and move on.

Lorne

RRRAAAAGGGEEEEEEEEEEEE .

By the way in your orginal post "thank you to fish assasis" I am 98% sure you said you were having fish and chips from that hali. THats why i called you out on it when you said you released it. So i searched to fnd the original bs thread and it was gone. wierd....

Dont post nonsense on a public forum and expect to get way with it. Just admit you lied and move on.

Lorne

RRRAAAAGGGEEEEEEEEEEEE .

By the way in your orginal post "thank you to fish assasis" I am 98% sure you said you were having fish and chips from that hali. THats why i called you out on it when you said you released it. So i searched to fnd the original bs thread and it was gone. wierd....

Hey Lorne. I didn't lie, and I don't give a **** what you think. All I was thanking FA for was a bit of knowledge about some local areas here which added to what I do know. I also have a few others who've shared some spots, but fishing doesn't change. Just what's working, and where they fish are holding. Pretty simple concept, and no, I did not say I was eating fish and chips from that Hali but thanks!. Rage? No not really but seriously you, and a couple others can go **** yourselves, for even assuming. What because you can't hit some big fish everyone's a liar?. Whatever you figure buddy. No love lost. I don't know you, and you don't know me. Like I said I'll just back it all up with a camera from now on because of the pricks out there like you. I really don't care what you say or think, but to me you're just an asshole for making assumptions. Who the **** cares. Photos from now on. I never came here to argue with anyone. Only to share info, and tips, reports. I really just don't care what you think, but I'll be damned if you will make me look like an idiot by assuming I bullshitted anything. **** you buddy. Done with this and people who **** talk others like little hen women in a kitchen.

Don't worry I won't post any "reports" without photos again. I'm sure photos speak 1000 words anyhows. Funny how each of my reports was right though hey? I said Browns, 2 pages of confirmation followed.. When I said the hump, lots were netted within a few days. Think what you want.

That's about all. I'm not going to highjack this thread any further.

Back