RCMP seizing fish

Roberth

Crew Member
I have seen reports on Sooke Salt Water Fishing Report of marine RCMP seizing fish in Sooke waters stating no salmon retention is allowed even though DFO’s website clearly states hatchery coho and pinks can be retained.
has this happened to any SFBC members?

No. But my first guess would be someone mis-identified coho for chinook, or kept a wild or two coho. But; know nothing of the actual situation.

I was stopped and checked first week of May by rcmp for registration and safety checks(passed with full compliance).Rcmp officer asked me what i was fishing for, and i said "lingcod". He replied "the only thing open is halibut". I questioned him on it and said "lingcod opened May 1st!", and he said " this is my first day of my shift from last month. I may need to check the regs". I politely agreed. Long story- but could also be an officer without up to date info.

No. But my first guess would be someone mis-identified coho for chinook, or kept a wild or two coho. But; know nothing of the actual situation.

I was stopped and checked first week of May by rcmp for registration and safety checks(passed with full compliance).Rcmp officer asked me what i was fishing for, and i said "lingcod". He replied "the only thing open is halibut". I questioned him on it and said "lingcod opened May 1st!", and he said " this is my first day of my shift from last month. I may need to check the regs". I politely agreed. Long story- but could also be an officer without up to date info.
Dumbass

Was off Beechy Friday and RCMP boat pulled up,asked any luck and at that time we had no fish. He asked if we had all our safety gear and I mentioned we were checked in sidney(true) within the year and all good. Off they went to the next boat of which they were beside for an extended time. We did get a hatch coho and a nice sized slimy pink later.

lets just say it was deserved...
The poster in the page group said he had pinks and RCMP ticketed him for having any kind of salmon. He said RCMP told him all salmon was closed (which is wrong)

I am curious if you know details that would counter that version of the story?

If they were out giving tickets to anyone fishing then I was surprised it was only one boat

Yes I do and they know better now... lets leave it at that we all make mistakes in life,
Ok thanks for the reply. I have worked with several of the OGDs at the data fusion center in the HQ. Most guys are just trying to do their job and aren't out to get sport fishermen but I know there is a large anti-government sentiment within parts of the sport fishing/hunting community. I was just trying to get clarity and wanted to insure if there was an incorrect enforcement issue it was resolved for the good relations with the pubic and government agencies.

Lets just say if you are doing everything right re fish etc and playing by the rules the RCMP have been more then good to me on the water pulled me over about 20 times now asked me my fishing lic to what my svop # was

Back