RCA's & Ling Cod?

Little Hawk

At the risk of a jab or two I'm going to ask for some help with clarification on a couple of points here:

1) With respect to the RCA Closure around Darcy Island mentioned by another member - does an RCA mean "NO FISHING PERIOD" or simply that you can still fish there but just can't keep Rockfish?

2) According to my interpretation of DFO's Regs for 2012 ( http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/fintable-tableaupoisson-eng.htm ) there is no fishing anywhere on the South Island for Ling Cod except - Area 20W.
Am I correct on this and where is area - 20W?

Thanks Guys!

Fire when ready...

Little Hawk.....in the regs look to the far right column for a description of 20W; I could be wrong but it basically looks like 20-1 thru 20-4????

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry, for the last several years Ling cod have opened up on June 1 in area 19/20
then shut again in October.

Terry, for the last several years Ling cod have opened up on June 1 in area 19/20
then shut again in October.

Further to that Terry....it would appear as though as long as you are west of Sherringham in 20-4 thru 20-1 (and westward up the outside of the Island) lings will be open on April 1rst.

Like Craven said I expect Lings to open in area 19-20 around June 1 as they have past years. That said there is no fishing for Lings, Salmon or anything in an RCA. I am surprised they even let you drop a crab trap.

Thanks Boys! Knew I could count on ya.

I'm 'damn-straight' now!

Back