Rare Herring Spawn off Victoria

Gorge use to be thick with them when I was a kid, and that's when the mill was full swing and nobody thought twice about dumping auto/household fluids or using herb and pesticides. Can't see why with a little bit of effort things can't be brought back. We waste so much on far smaller things.

Anyone else remember the group of Mediterrainian fellows crowding the little wharf below Tillicum rapids. They fished long bamboo poles with a simple line and jig on the end. Filled buckets in no time.

Gorge use to be thick with them when I was a kid, and that's when the mill was full swing and nobody thought twice about dumping auto/household fluids or using herb and pesticides. Can't see why with a little bit of effort things can't be brought back. We waste so much on far smaller things.

Anyone else remember the group of Mediterrainian fellows crowding the little wharf below Tillicum rapids. They fished long bamboo poles with a simple line and jig on the end. Filled buckets in no time.
When I was a kid, we caught buckets of them off the old Tillicum bridge, (recently replaced) using a hand tied jig from an old local guy called Wiskers (who sold them while he was fishing) and a used spark plug for a weight from the service station where the motel is now. Just hammer the plug gap closed on the concrete and tie it on. Sometimes we would get double, triple and quadruple headers.

Last edited:
There has to be a ton of spark plugs down there. Riding the crosstown bus back home to Gordon head with a bucket full of herring. LOL.

Cant bring back Herring if other bait fish have moved in and displaced them. Not saying either tho that projects that have tried to enhance healing like spawning mats on docks have not been successfully there certainly have.

Just saying there is a lot of factors at play.

Cant bring back Herring if other bait fish have moved in and displaced them. Not saying either tho that projects that have tried to enhance healing like spawning mats on docks have not been successfully there certainly have.

Just saying there is a lot of factors at play.
You mean like Stickleback? They seem very prolific in the area when I'm chasing SRC.

Armchairing it, but I don't think it would be a huge project to get things back, IF there was the local will. Unfortunately too many people are more concerned about the latest smartphone and video game. Perhaps old shopping carts and bike frames would make good spawning media.;)

This is a good read

Back