Rack for top of boat

scotty

Does anyone have any suggestions for a rack/ trap holder for the top of my trophy hard top! Stainless steel, aluminum, or just buy a roof rack?? Looking forward to pics if you have them! Thanks, Scotty.

Do you have hand rails on top already? If so, you can make a sturdy and relatively inexpensive roof rack from PVC piping. See this link for one example. If you need something a bit stronger, you can put wooden dowel rods inside the PVC. Others I know (on that same web site) have used Thule or Yakima roof racks with good success. In some cases, the "rain gutter" mounts have worked to hold the roof racks to existing hand rails.

I have just completed a stainless roof rack for my 2152 Trophy for my prawn traps,lines, and scotsmans. It will mount off the grab rails on the hard top with stainless pipe clamps I got from western marine. Will be able to remove with just 4 set screws. Nice and easy. I found an elastic cargo net online at McMaster and Carr that should would great to hold everything in place. I put 1/8" rubber grip matte on the cross sections so the traps dont rattle around... I will post pics of it installed with the rocket lauchers and traps loaded..
Here's some of the beginning stages..

Damn GK! you are talented even if you cant catch fish :p
Nice job, can you toss it on the water jet now and carve out Outaline on there somewhere for me and I'll be right over and pick it up

Damn GK! you are talented even if you cant catch fish :p
Nice job, can you toss it on the water jet now and carve out Outaline on there somewhere for me and I'll be right over and pick it up

HAHA!! Get that rig of yours back in the water so I can follow you around..
:cool:

Here's the finished product. Pretty happy with the outcome. Had to make some custom brackets to mount it to the grab rails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking work you do!
The shorter outside grab rails are original, the longer inner rails are the new part, along with the cross bars to act as roof racks for whatever
I needed mine to be removable ( well, extra rod holder part anyway ) and I had some left over blue uhmw from the table I made..soo - here is finished product

Attachments

• DSCN5010.jpg
    DSCN5010.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 256
  • DSCN5011.jpg
    DSCN5011.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCN5012.jpg
    DSCN5012.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 255
Tykkyt e blue

Maybe it's just the pic but how long are your downrigger arms they look like there 10 feet Long?

Nice job on the racks both of you guys.

Here's the finished product. Pretty happy with the outcome. Had to make some custom brackets to mount it to the grab rails.

Liked that thank for sharing that looks pretty cool. I had a client ask me to design in CAD up one of these for him, but I like the fact you used McMasterr and just customized something existing....

JAC - fwd downriggers are 14' - I don't like stacking rods and the DR double as outriggers once the tuna are here. All stock scotty parts, just longer tubing

tykket e blue I like your set up for the six rod holders. What type of rod holers are they? Gave me a great idea for my rig. Thanks

nice rack Sean

tykket e blue I like your set up for the six rod holders. What type of rod holers are they? Gave me a great idea for my rig. Thanks

The holders are the tubes from Scotty 247 bases ( the part that makes a downrigger 'pro pack' in their words ) I just cut off the 'tube' base flush so the collar would clamp the tube on a flat surface.
I'll PM you if you want more info?

Back