Quick way to kill Halibut

scott craven

After gaffing, spearing, Tail/gill cutting , the damn fish still won't die[xx(]
how do you kill one quickly and humanely ?
(no guns please ;))

I'd like to see a video of that. I imagine they don't hold still for that manuever.
It would be more entertaining to watch a fellow try it for the first time.
I bet there is some serious splashing and the odd ^%^$# word uttered!!;)

IAFF Local #18 (Vancouver Fire Rescue)

quote:Originally posted by abbyfireguy

I'd like to see a video of that. I imagine they don't hold still for that manuever.
It would be more entertaining to watch a fellow try it for the first time.
I bet there is some serious splashing and the odd ^%^$# word uttered!!;)

IAFF Local #18 (Vancouver Fire Rescue)

I do it hundreds of times per year to EVERY hali I catch, it works quite well. Just grab the tail, quick slice, and SNAP. Even if he is thrashing around just hold on to his tail and re-enforce who is at what end of the food chain, slice and snap while you have the gaff in the other end. Quite simple. Maybe I'll shoot some footage next weeknd.

Most of them do "bonk" peacfully, but I find that the slice and snap is just as effective, quick, and you should bleed them anyway, so that's what I do. Besides, I allways have the knife handy.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Cut across the back right at the tail, and break the spine there. Will leak blood quickley, and seems to do them in instantly.

with the size of your mitts you and Roy dont even have to cut the tail to snap it...those fish are scared right away:)

round out the topof their head with a baseball batand its over.best on over 60 lbersand up.

if you bring the fish in belly up its WAY more docile... cutting the tail is way easier this way.

bring it in on its belly and its much more liable to freak out.

this is really important IMO on bigger fish.

All i do is after its been pooned and somewhat docile give it a good whack with the old louisville slugger right on the side of the top eye then I have a little jig that has a big narrow loop on one end and a tiny loop on the other that I put a rope on zip it under his gill out his mouth tie it off and then a half hitch around his tail wrap him in a small bow toss him over (tied to the boat) of course after secure slip him gills and like LC said i slit a small line along the tail but I go along the back bone and make sure I jab the knife into the bone so the tail is up ont the side of the boat and his head is in the water to bleed out so your meat will be pure white as you have now bled him.

Good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I did learn one little trick you can try once the halibut is in the boat. (this would be more for chicken size not barn doors) Make sure they are laying on their back and using the curve of your gaff rub them along their lateral line from head to tale back and forth. This seems to have a calming effect on them and will give you a FEW SECONDS to do what ever you want to them.... whether its bonking them on the head or slicing their tale.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

before you bring them aboard---WHAP WHAP WHAP!! WHAM< WHAM< WHAM

And then hogtie them... simple!! :D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Tried all these methods, but it still gives me the willies
when you go to carve them up 2 hours later and they start
twitching and flapping.
some die easy , other's... not so much [xx(]

Whack Whack only aggravates them, not a recommended method unless you want to rearrange the inside of your boat...LC has it right, slice and dice the tail, and I also like to reach in with a quick slit on the gills when they are in the water. Let them bleed out so your boat is clean...only takes a few minutes...but watch for sharks! The belly rub trick is amazing, especially for chickens that you just gaff and flip on board....Jeff should like that technique.....give em a gaff!

hehe me likey all right!

I'm a tail slashing spine snapper too. As well as the gill chop I cut directly in the back of the fishes head to its spine.

Gimee the gaff!!!

Harpoon...then I just nail em with the gaff between the eyes and in their head about 50 times...one of them is bound to hit that tiny lil brain of theirs...and you can tell when it does cuz they stop squirming. Then I do the slit of the tail and knife through gills to show them whose the boss!! lol

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The side is where the brain is not between the eyes people whack them there all the time an wreak the cheeks the best part mmmmmmm,
Like osama said cut it right to the spine if it doesnt start to bleed you havent hit the main artery keep cutting.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

"Whack Whack only aggravates them, not a recommended method unless you want to rearrange the inside of your boat"

You can do what you want-- I'll do it my way. I have a 4lb ironwood club that will subdue ANY halibut BEFORE I bring it aboard. And notice I hogtie them too. Once aboard I also bleed them (open bow boat with scuppers) I suppose its not a good idea to let a girlfriend attempt to whack the fish unless she is Zena.... (now that comment will get me in trouble with the gals on the board :D)

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I'm with Searun and Osama, a slit to the gills works great (the tail would be just as good I'm sure). That way they bleed out in the water and they come over the side dead, which keeps your boat a lot cleaner. Plus you avoid the whole gear trashing gong show when a big slab starts dancing across the deck of your boat too. Keep the blood out of the meat, it lasts longer, and pics seem to show up better when they don't have a lot of blood on the white side.

-millsy

Cuba, I want to watch when you try that with an 80 pound plus hali :D

Anyone who drags in a big fish that ain't dead is just asking for trouble or very inexperienced. [:0]

So, go ahead make my day....just do it somewhere I can watch so I can enjoy the show. [:p]

Back