Question for Stealth rod holder users

bigdogg1

Bought one last week along with a Scotty gear adapter. Absolutely buried the Stealth into the Scotty adapter and screwed onto boom mount. 5 minutes in, the Stealth spun in the adapter while trolling and rod/reel turned 90 degrees straight back. .

Could have been not quite seated down into the adapter but pretty sure it was.

Has anybody epoxied the Stealth into the adapter? Only time I would use it is on the boom mount so don’t see why not do it.

I didn't need to. Mine have never spun. Just be careful. I sent a islander to the depths last week. lucky to get it back but the steath wasn't even 2 years old and was always stored in garage when not in use. 20220809_201751.jpg

Wow. That is certainly not a testament to the reported quality of these units. Glad you managed to save the gear!

Would you buy one again?

I am planning on replacing it with the same for now. I really like these rod holders I just hope it doesn't happen again...

I am planning on replacing it with the same for now. I really like these rod holders I just hope it doesn't happen again...
I have a pair but haven’t put them on yet.
we you running the rods straight back? Or out at an angle (ie parallel to the rigger boom).

I had a Scotty rocket launcher snap, even though I only run them straight back (trying to avoid the force being applied perpendicular to the base).

I have a pair but haven’t put them on yet.
we you running the rods straight back? Or out at an angle (ie parallel to the rigger boom).

I had a Scotty rocket launcher snap, even though I only run them straight back (trying to avoid the force being applied perpendicular to the base).
Parallel to the boom.

Broke another one off this morning... luckily I got the rod back again! This was the other one that was two years old... pulled the nut right through.20220828_111418.jpg

Yeah, I think I can kiss my Stealth holder/Scotty gear head adapter money goodbye. I didn't like the way it twisted in the adapter head so I set it in place with G-Flex 5-minute epoxy. Absolutely bullet proof connection but first time out, the torque on the boom mount scared the heck out of me. Haven't used it since.

Thanks for this. These aren't going on boat now. I was thinking of changing out my tube rod holders to these but think I will go with strikers.

I would highly suggest not using any stealth products. My stealth rod holder snapped on its 3rd trip out. My islander went for a swim 150' down, Luckily I was able to bring this one back up on the downrigger. Ive also had the rod holder spin 90 degres in its mount before. I think ill be going with flush gunnel mount rod holders. My standard scotty boom mount snapped last year and I lost that Islander as well. I just dont trust plastic anymore. This is the picture I took after I luckily got the islander back with the downrigger
received_597565125323712.jpeg

Happy you managed to retrieve your gear 👍. I am with you on rod holders. I did install a Scotty dual rod holder earlier that seems to be holding firm.

I also use the built in funnel holders on the other side. I kno have a very fancy Orca net holder and a Stealth holder that will likely see the Rubbermaid of never used fishing gear. I had previously epoxied the Stealth to the Scotty gear adapter but it then twisted on the boom 😡

Back