Question about my 350 i/o w 270 leg

I have noticed that my engine will not go beyond 3000 rpm when under tow, but when i play with the throttle linkage directly on the engine I can get the engine up beyond 3000 in neutral. I assume it has something to do with the limitations of the 270 vovlo leg...

any thoughts....

SS31

In neutral there is no load on the engine so it will rev up more, when under way you say your not getting above 3000rpm. Have you changed your prop recently? Has this always been a problem or just started? How many hour are on the engine and the general condition of it. I am asking just to get a better reply to you. Some peeps are gonna say carb problem, some may say ignition, but you can throw a lot of money at the wrong issue.

Trouble shoot the problem.
You need Air, Fuel, Compression and Spark.
Check the easy ones first.
Do you get WOT when you move the control with the engine not running?
Do the accelerator pumps work on the carb?
Got a good hot spark on all plugs?
Do you have the correct compression in all 8 cylinders?

If were going to play the guessing game, I'll take compression.

It's more like the throttle wont go down any farther at the helm...... it's like it has a govenor of something like that...I'll attach some pics...

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0069.jpg
    DSC_0069.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0061.jpg
    DSC_0061.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 51
With the engine off...... Push control to WOT.
Go look at the carb and see if the butterfly valves are wide open.
Have someone move the control and watch the carb to see if you gets a squirt of fuel.

Have you made any changes from when it last ran correctly?

You need to have a good chat withIFL as you have given very little to go on. He is a marine mechanic and would be the one to talk to.

Wow that thing is clean,very nice. I can,t give any advice on your motor but it looks like your tackle box is way too small.lol
fh327

Back