Question 2 around Tofino… Making bait (herring or anchovies) mid September

wdlfbio

I’m feeling good about our run from WA into Tofino, now have a question about trying to make live bait. Are there enough bait schools around that a few folks could Sabiki a couple dozen a day? Has anybody tried it much? Maybe even toss a cast net a few times for some? These would strictly be coming along offshore so we could introduce them to some friendly albacore…. We need to decide if we are going to bring bait sticks up with us or not.

You’ll probably pass a few bait balls on the run up - I remember we passed a couple last year around the Jordan River area. But if memory serves correct the size was pretty small based on what was hanging out of the birds’ mouths that were feeding on them. You might get lucky though.

When I was in PNT on the weekend picking up some tuna gear I remembered Willie posted a video about a month ago of a big school of saury they came across offshore. Which led to me buying a pack of live bait hooks in the off chance we come across something similar and have the presence of mind and luck to net a bunch and throw them in the live well. Dare to dream right??

We’ll see you out there. We’ll be in the 30’ Pursuit with the grey hull.

You’ll probably pass a few bait balls on the run up - I remember we passed a couple last year around the Jordan River area. But if memory serves correct the size was pretty small based on what was hanging out of the birds’ mouths that were feeding on them. You might get lucky though.

When I was in PNT on the weekend picking up some tuna gear I remembered Willie posted a video about a month ago of a big school of saury they came across offshore. Which led to me buying a pack of live bait hooks in the off chance we come across something similar and have the presence of mind and luck to net a bunch and throw them in the live well. Dare to dream right??

We’ll see you out there. We’ll be in the 30’ Pursuit with the grey hull.
Quite common to find Saury out in the canyons although that was a particularly large school

I’m assuming that while we are up for the week, we will have a day or two of weather stoppage. I know the silvers will be in, but is there any chance to jig some squid? Would make a nice evening appetizer.

Back