Queen Charlotte Islands to Disappear Soon.....

Dogbreath

No it's not global warming quite yet this is more immediate.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-co...ttle-islands-renamed-haida-gwaii.html?ref=rss

Queen Charlotte Islands renamed Haida Gwaii in historic deal

B.C.'s Queen Charlotte Islands have officially been renamed Haida Gwaii as part of a historic reconciliation agreement between the province and the Haida Nation, Premier Gordon Campbell announced Friday in Vancouver.

The modern native name for the group of more than 150 rugged islands off the province's north coast will appear on revised provincial maps and all other official provincial documents and presentations, the premier said.

The archipelago was first named after one of the ships of British Captain George Dixon in 1778, who called his vessel Queen Charlotte after the wife of King George III.

Haida Gwaii was created as an alternative name for the islands to acknowledge the history of the Haida Nation as part of its land claim efforts in the 1980s. According to the Haida Gwaii Tourism Association, the name translates as "islands of the people" in the Haida language.

The B.C. government later adopted the confusing name Queen Charlotte Islands/Haida Gwaii.

Carol Kulesha, the mayor of the Village of Queen Charlotte, a community at the south end of Graham Island, says she is pleased with the name change and hopes it will clear up any past confusion.

"This is bringing us back up to more modern times," Kulesha said Friday. "This is what the islands are named; they're Haida Gwaii. The confusion is the fact that some maps say one thing, and other maps say another. So now, it's official, and that's great."

Deal spells big changes

While the name change will mean maps will have to be updated, the reconciliation agreement is expected to have more far reaching consequences for the First Nation, which has never signed a treaty with the Crown.

"After 100 years of conflict, we have set the ground for a more productive era of peace," said Haida Nation president Guujaaw in a statement released after the protocol was signed.

The agreement builds on the success of the Strategic Land Use Agreement signed between B.C. and the Haida in 2007.

"We have already agreed to the care and protection of the land; and now, we develop processes for more responsible management," Guujaaw said. "This marks an opportunity to build a relationship on mutual trust and to design a model for a sustainable economy."

The deal will create a unique joint management council that will make development decisions along with a process to resolve title disputes between Haida and the Crown.

It also includes $10 million for the Haida to buy out forest tenures on the islands and revenue-sharing on future resource development in the region.

The pristine islands are in the centre of B.C.'s vast offshore oil and gas fields, but development of those reserves remains under a federal moratorium.

bc-091211-haida-gwai-totems.jpg

Carved mortuary and memorial poles mark a beach in the village of Ninstints in Haida Gwaii.Carved mortuary and memorial poles mark a beach in the village of Ninstints in Haida Gwaii. (CBC)

The deal is the second such agreement announced in as many days that establishes shared decision-making on land use and economic development opportunities between the province and B.C.'s First Nations.

On Thursday, the province signed a similar reconciliation deal with six other coastal First Nations.

It also granted environmental approval Thursday to the Naikun wind project, to be located in the Hecate Strait east of Haida Gwaii. The Haida Nation is a major stakeholder in the project.

billreidsalmon.jpg

To the Haida people these islands have always been Haida Gwaii I do not have a problem accepting this as it has always been. This is history.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Smiley 66, have you ever been to the Charlottes??? Giving the Gwaii nation the rights to their timber reserves and say as to where the exploration to oil and gas goes is the best thing to happen to one of the most spiritual places left on earth..

I have spent many of years working up there and it is truely one of the most beautiful places there is.. I worked for a lodge that owned the largest timber rights on Graham Island.. What they have done to the the north end of the island and the watersheds located within is criminal.. If you ever have a chance to take a walk into the natural old growth that they call home you will come to appreciate that our tax dollars are far more worth spending there than say a needle exchange or a crack pipe kit for the common white folk that can't deal with what society has put them into.. Open your eyes dude, it should have no dollar value as to what it would take to save one of the last remaining true temperate rainforest reserves left on this f%$ked up planet we call home..dirty:(

Cheers Rob, all the best to yours over the holiday season.. Drop me a line or a pm if ya want to hook up for some chrome bustin over the holidays.. dirty:D

Yeah I am up for Haida Gwaii as well. Definitely suits the place. If you've spent time woking up there you'll agree.

Hey Dirty sounds like a Snake rock vs Bird 2 kind of discussion to me.:D I will be up there in February for a week of chrome in the "Haida Gwaii" can't wait to hug a tree, have a pop in Daddy Cools and lean back into some big Yak chrome!

It will always be Snake Rock Mama, that is if you worked for Pergerni..lol All the best to the family from the Dog's and Pups.. Dirty;)

Why are they always "greedy oil guys"? Unless your outboards, trucks and cars run on pixie farts you're supporting petroleum exploration and extraction just as much as the next guy! Just cause it could happen somewhere close to home in stead of in some 3rd world or remote northern location doesn't make it worse. In fact the operation would be forced to be much cleaner being in the green spotlight of BC! Off topic though I suppose...

Haida Gwaii is fine by me! "Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet..."

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

Back