Puntledge opening?

Some chums were caught today near the Condensory bridge, already coloured up. Further upstream yesterday I saw the biggest coho I have ever seen must have been between 25 and 30 lb. The lucky angler said it was also the biggest coho he had even seen. He dashed off to get it weighed. I caught a nice 10 lb coho today in my favourite fishing hole, a real chromer, still some fresh springs around too.

Picked up a chum today. It was coloured also. My buddy had a large spring on that fought like heck. Fish swam around a rock and snapped the line. It doesn’t seem to be as many fish this year. Maybe it’s time to look for a new secret spot. GLG

Hey Tortuga, nice meeting you yesterday and THANKS for helping me land the one today and bonking it for me. It is sitting in a sugar/salt/garlic/ginger/orange jest/ brine as I write.... if it turns out all right, perhaps I might bring a little piece down to the river....:D:D:D Striper Sniper

Hey Tortuga, oops, forgot to mention the 8 oz of dark rum that I also added...................:D:D to the brine, you know what the rest will be used for! Striper Sniper

Gey guys, like alot of ppl on here, I am almost 100% new to river fishing. I was planning on hitting the puntledge tomorrow morning but wasn't sure what i can legally use and really where to go. I've got a little set-up already, just a baitcaster and maybe and 8.5' rod, and its all rigged up with a float, weight, and a pink worm - is that the sort of setup i might get success on at this time? it kind of soudns like wool is the way to go.

i don't know any places to go - but i saw the "rod and gun" mentioned and puntledge park - so i was going to try to find my way to one of them - are they fairly consistent? i'm not lookin for the amazing secret spot here, i just want to catch a fish on a river as it would be my first.

as far as legalities go, it sounds like you can retain anything - is retention specific to where exactly your fishing or is it the same everywhere?

Wish me luck and thanks for any tips - BTW this topic is great - i've learned alot jsut reading what is already there.

Dudds

CD – Best advice I can give you is to go to Peters Sports and let the guys help you rig up. You can buy the stuff you might be missing. They can also give directions to a spot to fish. Or you could just go down (to the bridge or park) and watch how people fish. Ask them if it’s OK to watch them. They will at some point need to re rig than you can ask questions and learn how it’s done. I have in the past shown tips and most guys are easy to talk to. Try Chartreuse wool or maybe blue, red, orange, or purple. Spinner head in blue or orange might get you one too. The feel of the bite can be tricky when you are starting out. If you feel a tap, strike. You will know if it’s a fish. You can keep any salmon you get, but look for the fresh ones and gently release the others. If you fish with others around, you will be in a legal spot. Fishing is about learning and it’s a path we all take. You don’t need $$$ gear to start you just need to get out there and do it. Most of us learn more from doing than reading. See you on the river. GLG

Ya that sounds great GLG i am in nanaimo and was planning on heading there at the crack of dawn tomorrow so i doubt Peters Sports will be open. I'll probly just head to the hatchery and just start walking down the riverside until i see either fish or people. Maybe stop at Peters on the way out for future advice.

Thanks for the help, i'll let you know how i make out!

Dudds

CD – Sorry thought you were in the valley. Hope the weather breaks for you. If it’s to crowded you might try down by the Condensory Bridge. This rain might bring lots of chum in. Lots of spots that are excellent fishing. The tide is coming in at around 10 AM and that can bring in a lot of fish too. GLG

Striper,

Just finished smoking mine. (Salmon)
Went 0 for 4 coho yesterday, not good.
Hope your lucks been better on the chrome offerings.
Heading out of town till thurs.
Good Luck.

Tortuga

Thanks Tortuga, I got skunked yesterday for the first time (this year). I went down for a couple of hours this morning, same thing....:( but the river is really high and muddy. Maybe the Chum will be in the river when you get back.:D I will be leaving on Saturday for Alberta to go Antelope hunting for a week, see you when I get back if I don't before.:) Striper Sniper

it was pretty much blown out today - i fished a few of the spots mentioned to no avail then went and talked to the guys at peters sports - very helpful, i ended up going to black creek and beach fishing - can't keep em but it sure is fun hookin and playin em. thanks for the tips GLG.

I hear ya duds the flows i wanted to fish were blown out.Big Q was full of coho for those maybe lookin for a shorter drive. Its fly only though till the 15th. Man i wish i was chuckin a spinner instead of a fly they seemed lockjaw. Do you guys think now that its cleared up a bit that the puntledge will be fishable tommorow? Winds keepin me off the water and i dont wanna make the drive up to see it blown out. Have never fished there before anyone on the board gonna try it out tommorow?

Kelly, I was down on the Puntledge for an hour today and it was pretty ugly. The water level is extremely high, brown and there was quite a bit of debris floating down stream....:( I have been out every single day since the season openned and tomorrow will be the first that I will miss as I doubt very much that it will settle down sufficiently for a quality outting.. Most of the fish are very coloured (springs) with a few Coho in between for a few lucky anglers. So far I have only seen two bright Chums and one coloured one. Striper Sniper

hmmmmmm sounds like it isnt worth the hour trip up. Its dam controlled so i thought it wouldnt be that bad. Maybe ill wait until the afternoon and see if somebody tries it out before going. Or maybe ill do what duds did and if the rivers a bust go try the beach

Talked to my buddy and were gonna give it a go. Hey maybe itll drop and all that water today mighta moved a bunch of freshies in and everyone but us will have crossed it off. I can dream

I'm going to try on Tuesday. Hopefully the water level will be down by then. The Puntledge is a short river, it doesn't take long before the water lever drops after a heavy rain. There should be a lot of new fish in the river at that time. I won't go Monday because it will probably be a zoo, especially at the most popular fishing holes. Actually not many anglers fish where I do because it is not easy to get to! [?]

Hi Kelly, I believe it is certainly worth trying different areas. On opening day the Condensory bridge area was not producing, but further upstream the fishing was hot. Try different areas of the river until you find the fish.

Well went today gave it a weak effort i was pretty sick. I was all over the river but only fished 30-45min. Saw some new chum coming in below the bridge and flyguys sight flossin them. Some were in decent shape and i chucked gear for a bit just above the bridge saw some nice chrome spring porpise. A bit of a drive for what i saw ill probaly stay more local

I've just got back, 2 chum, both had the tiger stripes but still fresh (white belly) I kept both for smoking. I've been losing bobbers like they are going out of fashion so decided to make my own from a roll of crack stuffer (available from the hardware dept at home depot). Cut it to the right length about 6 inches then dip the end in all purpose glue for about 1 inch and let it dry. Then paint over the glue with any white primer then spray with flouro paint. (If you try painting the bobber without applying the glue first the paint peels off very quickly). Then simply put a small cable-tie around the top and bottom about half inch from each end and tighten so that it just starts to squeeze the bobber. Then just thread the line under the cable ties at the top and bottom and it's ready to use. Tried it today and it works just great. And if you get snagged or pull really hard on the line it doesn't cut into the bobber and destroy it because it is not wrapped around it. I roll makes about 25 bobbers for about $5.

Back