Prop Question (16-K)

Baxter

Running a 2020 Yamaha F90. The only marking on the prop says "16-K".

I know very little about props but I feel like a number is missing here? Should it not be "## x 16"? Or something like that?

I am looking for a used spare, but not really sure what I am looking for. Don't really understand what I am looking at here.

On calm water with a light load and WOT, I am at around 58-60km/h at around 5800rpm. Out of the hole quickly. No complaints at all, so keeping the same pitch seems to make sense, just not exactly sure what I have!

Help?E4E22527-A47D-4FA7-BD96-95AB07972AAB.jpeg

Last edited:
The prop details are usually on the end of the hub....maybe partially obscured by the washer under the castle nut.

Note that comparing various different propellers is difficult. Different propellers are designed to do different things, and different manufacturers will measure props differently. Also, different props may work at different engine mounting heights.

I found elsewhere that it does appear to be a "k-series". I understand that the 16 is the pitch, but just unsure of the diameter, but thanks to the chart above by Pineapple, I suspect that it is a 13 1/2 possibly painted SS, but still not certain if it is aluminum or SS... Will grab a magnet later and check :)

Last edited:
I found elsewhere that it does appear to be a "k-series". I understand that the 16 is the pitch, but just unsure of the diameter, but thanks to the chart above by Pineapple, I suspect that it is a 13 1/2m possibly painted SS, but still not certain if it is aluminum or SS... Will grab a magnet later and check :)
you realize aluminum and stainless are both non-magnetic

you realize aluminum and stainless are both non-magnetic
That is not entirely true - some stainless steel is magnetic, some is not.

In terms of props I just tested. This prop is most certainly magnetic. Perhaps some are not. Maybe mine being magnetic notes it is a lower quality stainless, certainly possible. Perhaps higher quality SS props are not magnetic. But mine is.

Tested magnet against kicker. Did not stick (makes sense as I know kicker prop is aluminum). Tested against main, it most certainly stuck, and stuck very firmly too - better than on the fridge even. (which I might add is also stainless)

Last edited:
Your prop looks like the standard Yamaha black painted stainless ones I've seen and used. The Yamaha aluminum props are painted white and the blades are much thicker and have almost like a "tab" where they connect to the hub, like this:
aluminum.png

I have confirmed mine is stainless, BUT Yamaha does sell an Aluminum prop in a 16:

Cool. I guess I only looked at the Aluminum heading.

When my family started boating we had a Yamaha 90 (2-stroke...it was years ago!) and we dinged several Yamaha aluminum props by hitting the usual driftwood debris floating around. Once we switched to the Yamaha black painted stainless the dinged props were significantly reduced. I personally wouldn't run an aluminum prop around here

Cool. I guess I only looked at the Aluminum heading.

When my family started boating we had a Yamaha 90 (2-stroke...it was years ago!) and we dinged several Yamaha aluminum props by hitting the usual driftwood debris floating around. Once we switched to the Yamaha black painted stainless the dinged props were significantly reduced. I personally wouldn't run an aluminum prop around here
It is pretty funny. I was certain I had an AL prop before I started this thread earlier today. I had debated upgrading to SS, but didn't want to spend the $. Who knew it was upgraded already. I imagine the painted stainless is a lower grade, less expensive prop than the shiny stainless props, but still an upgrade to what I thought I had.

Learning a lot since I got my boat!

I found elsewhere that it does appear to be a "k-series". I understand that the 16 is the pitch, but just unsure of the diameter, but thanks to the chart above by Pineapple, I suspect that it is a 13 1/2 possibly painted SS, but still not certain if it is aluminum or SS... Will grab a magnet later and check :)
I just want to say that checking charts online is not the easiest way to check the diameter of your prop

I just want to say that checking charts online is not the easiest way to check the diameter of your prop
You're not wrong, but at least in this case when it comes to black painted stainless steel in a 16-K pitch, not a lot of options to assume :) And if I am buying a prop as a backup to get me home, at least now I know what I need to be very close.

Back