Cavitation Damage on Propeller

Exhaust gases cause ventilation not cavitation and would not expect much, if any damage from ventilation.

https://www.tacomapropeller.com/what-causes-ventilation/

@RevyG did you have any gasket issues fixed or just received a new prop?

Either way a new and different prop was installed so there is something else going on besides leaky exhaust gases. Since RPMs seem right, the overall pitch is probably right but maybe there is a progressive pitch. If the angle of attack / pitch at the front is way off that could cause cavitating props. A thin leading edge is more efficient if it's working at its design point, but a thick, beefy leading edge is much more tolerant to errors in the angle of attack / pitch at front of the prop.

Would love to see pics of the new beefy prop at the same view as pics of the previous skinny prop to hopefully see some differences. Also if the mechanic can provide an explanation why a new prop was installed that could answer some questions.
No, just a new improved prop bore sleeve.
Quote from dealer
“Install new style bore sleeve to prevent cavitation”
New one is completely different than what came stock.
Time will tell I suppose but one issue addressed either way.

No, just a new improved prop bore sleeve.
Quote from dealer
“Install new style bore sleeve to prevent cavitation”
New one is completely different than what came stock.
Time will tell I suppose but one issue addressed either way.
Thanks I misread what was new.

Do you have damage to your prop? If so shouldn't that be under warranty too?

Thanks I misread what was new.

Do you have damage to your prop? If so shouldn't that be under warranty too?
I tried. Was told no. Not sure why but pick my battles I guess. Prop still a good spare and I caught it quickly on new prop so only paint damage. This thread helped me finally diagnose. I would like to hear what Original posters outcome was.
Thanks again to this site.

I tried. Was told no. Not sure why but pick my battles I guess. Prop still a good spare and I caught it quickly on new prop so only paint damage. This thread helped me finally diagnose. I would like to hear what Original posters outcome was.
Thanks again to this site.
Without some sort of better explanation how cavitation is occurring from exhaust gases current dealer doesn't seem to understand difference between ventilation and cavitation. I would talk to another dealer asap and get them to talk directly to Mercury about what's going on. Vector Yachts have treated me really well.

When parts on my 2 yr old steering on my 2 yr old motor broke it was initially "fixed' at the the same shop in Langford that wrecked the prop hub kit. They said that the warranty on steering had expired after 1 yr because allegedly factory rep said so. Clear wording in Mercury documentation shows that new steering gets a 3 yr warranty when purchased with a new motor. Their fix was to use some bolt they had in the shop instead of ordering a new bolt from Mercury and no warranty support for labour.

Took the boat straight to Vector (I'm not risking my life on a random used shop bolt that is critical to the steering) who called Mercury directly and confirmed steering warranty had not expired. So Vector properly replaced the steering parts with factory parts under warranty which first shop should have done.

I don't know if factory rep actually said the steering warranty expired after 1yr instead of 3yr (I sure hope not and dealer was BSing ) but if so that is just wrong. Reps should be making judgement calls on what is covered not making up different expiry dates on warranties. If a rogue rep or lazy dealer is involved in this warranty claim and making up different coverages I sure hope you find much better service with another dealer who talks straight to Mercury. I definitely did.

Good call, thanks for your response, I happen to be heading out in a week and Bridgeview is located close by, I will stop in and talk to Don and the boys see if we can come up with something better.
Thanks again

Hi Guy

Update on the prop. M and P covered the prop under warranty. They said that spitfire propellers are known to have cavitation burns on occasion. They mentioned if it happened again I should go with a stainless prop.

I got a new prop bore sleeve and am going to go for a test run this weekend. I will keep a close eye on the paint to see if it starts again.

Hi Guy

Update on the prop. M and P covered the prop under warranty. They said that spitfire propellers are known to have cavitation burns on occasion. They mentioned if it happened again I should go with a stainless prop.

I got a new prop bore sleeve and am going to go for a test run this weekend. I will keep a close eye on the paint to see if it starts again.
And check the height of the motor when on plane!

How many hours did it take before you started to notice it?

Motor seems good on plane. I had about 40 hrs before I noticed the paint missing. At first I thought I had hit something in the water. Noticed the pitting later.

Back