Cavitation Damage on Propeller

Marley

I purchased a new Mercury spitfire propeller last June and I am having what I think is cavitation damage show up. Not sure what is causing this, motor is at 5800 rpm WOT. Is there something wrong with the prop itself?

Attachments

• C2CA8F4D-2D01-475C-BED2-4D0ED1743762.jpeg
    C2CA8F4D-2D01-475C-BED2-4D0ED1743762.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 210
I purchased a new Mercury spitfire propeller last June and I am having what I think is cavitation damage show up. Not sure what is causing this, motor is at 5800 rpm WOT. Is there something wrong with the prop itself?
Height of the motor is probably the best place to start. What’s the prop wash look like when you’re planing? Where’s the plate when you’re planing?

Hi Guys

Sorry I should have been more clear. It is a 4 blade prop and showing up on all 4 blades in the same place. How would motor height affect the propeller? It’s a 2020 90hp Mercury. I believe max rpm is 6000

Hi Guys

Sorry I should have been more clear. It is a 4 blade prop and showing up on all 4 blades in the same place. How would motor height affect the propeller? It’s a 2020 90hp Mercury. I believe max rpm is 6000
It might be too high. Get on plane and have someone film the back of the boat. You want the cavitation plate just above the water when on plane

Did you have a 3 blade on there before? Four blades provide more stern lift so you’ll be more out of the water than before

Hi Guys

I have read that those cavitation marks can show up on high lift propellers, which is what your four blade is designed to do. I have the same propeller in a 17 pitch that I had on a 90 Merc and it didn’t have any of those marks at all.

That's the zinc / trim tab. It's either the wrong one or it's possible it's swung around?

Any pictures of the trim tab zinc and cavitation plate ?

Agreed looks like a rub not cavitation to me also
Could be but interesting the rub mark doesn’t go all the way out to the edge on that top blade, when the cup in the prop would bring it closest to something leaving a rub mark.

I am having same issues on my 2020 Merc 150, OG Prop and now the new one I put on, trying to figure it out
I will get some pictures as well.

I looked closer this morning and it looks like there is pitting of the aluminum as well. I will get a better picture and post it. I also emailed M and P where I bought the prop to see if I can get a warranty claim as the prop is less than a year old.

I looked closer this morning and it looks like there is pitting of the aluminum as well. I will get a better picture and post it. I also emailed M and P where I bought the prop to see if I can get a warranty claim as the prop is less than a year old.
Can you get a picture of the clearance between the trim tab and the propeller blades?

Cavitation is one of the easiest forms of damage to identify. If it's full of little pits, jagged and sharp it's most likely cavitation. Google images of cavitation damage, it's unmistakable.

Would need very close up photos to assess without being there in person. Macro camera settings on a smart phone with good light should be able to pick it up.

Attachments

• 20220419_145021_resized.jpg
    20220419_145021_resized.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Cavitation-erosion-at-single-vane-impeller.png
    Cavitation-erosion-at-single-vane-impeller.png
    694.7 KB · Views: 48
Back