Prop Guard?

Jammer

I'm looking for a prop guard for my older Yamaha 9.9 high thrust. Just trying to keep the downrigger line out of the prop.
Anyone have any input into which one works? What doesn't?

Thanks,

Parker was under $80. Best $80 I ever spent on my boat. After kissing 6+ Pancake Weights last spring. Along with all the other gear and 250 ft each time of braided line. They have gaurds for 8's and 9.9's.

I was so proud of not dropping a weight in alomost 8 years till the prop got involved. Oh well..... problem fixed.

My vote still the same bite me too ent. here in victoria great guy , great product & fair price contact him bite- me -too@shaw.ca or 250)382-7007

I've never run a prop guard. I've seen the damage on some of those who do run them, or should I say used to run them. Wood or debris sucked into and jammed between the prop and guard...resulting in busted cav plates, bent props etc. I would rather that the wood and debris bounce off than get jammed in. I move my riggers to my rear most mounts in the winter when I fish deeper and a prop/wire encounter are possible. Moving the riggers aft keeps the wire well behind the kicker. Another good tip that I learned many years ago from a fishing buddy....keep your main in gear while trolling on the kicker. Prevents its prop from spinning and sucking the wire into the hub if you have to turn sharp enough to get the wire in there. That has saved me some grief a few times over the years.

Thats true pro but since i put the pod on the Hourston the problem with the sticks went away& i still use a prop guard.

Parker was under $80. Best $80 I ever spent on my boat. After kissing 6+ Pancake Weights last spring. Along with all the other gear and 250 ft each time of braided line. They have gaurds for 8's and 9.9's.

I was so proud of not dropping a weight in alomost 8 years till the prop got involved. Oh well..... problem fixed.

i found the pancake weights get caught by current in deeper water and can keep planing under the boat or away from the boat?

Go with Mac's Prop Guard. They make a specific size for a Yamaha 9.9T (Model 3).

Easy to install, won't let you down. Some times you see them on CL for $ 70 - 90

here's the site:

http://propsavers.com/Prop Saver Prices.html

Good Luck

X2 on the Mac's...installed mine after tangling up twice in 2 yrs off shore WCVI in huge swells,not fun getting line untangled in that crap:eek:..its been 5-6yrs since I installed it,and never had an issue since:D, and now I can even turn right when trolling way down deep:rolleyes:

Thanks for the input,
I found an ad on UsedVictoria after I posted, so I've e-mailed them to see if I can get pictures of their version.
I just got an e-mail back from bite-me-too for their version. This one is the best price I have found so far.
I never thought about wood being sucked into the prop and breaking stuff, I guess I could get "fingers" welded on to the ring to keep wood and other debris out of the cage.
My downriggers are about as far back as I can get them on my Striper, but turning left brings that downrigger line closer than I like to the kicker.

Underwood welding in Campbell river made me one out of aluminum for $30. Did a nice job and also installed it for me.

Put one on last year and it has been a great investment, Haven't had any of the issues Profisher was speaking about, but I have a integrated hull design, and my downriggers are mounted as far back as I can get them. If you are fishing deep and there are tides like we fish in Campbell River, get the guard. It will only take once break the rod, loose the ball, plus accessories.

Back