Projects examine how rec fishery is affecting salmon.

The biggest thing we could do to reduce FRIM or release mortality is to never use a net of any kind to land a fish to help remove the hook. Best is not to touch the fish, leave it in the water and use a gaff to quickly remove the hook. Landing nets cause scale loss and fin damage which leads to post release infections that will eventually kill the fish.

As Whotebuck says, if we encounter lots of shakers pick up and move somewhere else. Avoidance is a great strategy to reduce unintended FRIM.

the coho is the one that irks me the most... we move around the bank some days catching nothing but "unclipped" hatchery fish.
it should be take your first 2 and be done with it.

You not wong and i agree with you but if we could keep unclipped coho it would be a slaughterer fest in some areas. It would create its own fishery imo, This also speaks tho to the abundance of coho we are seeing out there.

I think there might also be some allocation implications, like how can you have guys in the ocean slaying IF Coho and not have a legal opening to natives in river.

Then you go full circle to asking to have a msf because there is to much pressure on mixed stocks.

One thing that's bigger of an impact then the handling (which can be a large impact) is the effect of the playing and how long it lasts. Salmon in saltwater have a metabolic system that is designed for long periods of easy swimming with short bursts of energy to attack and hunt, when they are in their high stress high energy situations for long periods of time they get a build up of lactic acid which is often fatal shortly after or from the damage to organs later on. The best we can do is get the fish in fast and without taking it from the water and fishing near terminal areas.

We need more people fishing, more people buying licenses, more awareness. We have so few people sport fishing compared to other countries who have strong fisheries and revenues. I have caught so many salmon with chunks of flesh missing from seal claws that had healed over. Very resilient fish just dont keep them out of water too long.
Silly project to be honest, but University is becoming a bit odd with science. Maybe next study will determine fish pronouns.

You not wong and i agree with you but if we could keep unclipped coho it would be a slaughterer fest in some areas. It would create its own fishery imo, This also speaks tho to the abundance of coho we are seeing out there.

I think there might also be some allocation implications, like how can you have guys in the ocean slaying IF Coho and not have a legal opening to natives in river.

Then you go full circle to asking to have a msf because there is to much pressure on mixed stocks.
fishery zones.. offshore- 2 coho limit, no catch and release of coho permitted. i think all sides would understand how many salmon this would save. i have books with 90-100 coho days in them, taking the first 8 would have been less impact obviously.

I've often wondered about we could do a scientific analysis to model which would be a better management regime - status quo hatchery retention only or 2 either hatchery/wild taking into account the fishery FRIM rates for coho. From my experience Chinook fair far better than coho. Would be very interesting analysis.

We need more people fishing, more people buying licenses, more awareness. We have so few people sport fishing compared to other countries who have strong fisheries and revenues. I have caught so many salmon with chunks of flesh missing from seal claws that had healed over. Very resilient fish just dont keep them out of water too long.
Silly project to be honest, but University is becoming a bit odd with science. Maybe next study will determine fish pronouns.
resilience to a bite and resilience to metabolic stresses are two different things just like a salmon healing from a bite and healing from their gills getting cut are two different things. Just don't keep them out of the water too long isn't good enough either what is too long. Holding a fish out of water is equivalent to holding an animal that breathes air under water, what is too long to be held under water. There are too many people with little to no knowledge about fishing to increase fishers on the water without causing more harm without also starting to implement something similar to hunter certification. imagine every person in bc harvesting their 10 springs how fast would everything be shut down to save the whales then.

True science has a control vs studying ONE variable tested at a time. There are so many simultaneous variables in CnR that you may be able to draw some correlations but saying that it is science based is a stretch at best.
Re Hero shots, You have just finished a one mile sprint and you are gasping for breath and some jerk slams your head in a bucket of water to get a nice pic. Meanwhile he has to find the camera, maybe drops you on the floor when you wiggle all the while keeping your head in the bucket, finally after multiple pics your head is pulled from the bucket and you are allowed to wander away. Unfortunately there is a bear/wolf/cougar waiting nearby as it knows you are very tired and will make an easy meal. That is what a salmon endures for every hero shot.

I just prefer to watch the fish in the water, just seing them in the sounder that’s the best, that way you can avoid dragging them around by a hook. Imagain the pain they must be in.

Do your part save a fish, eat a carrot

It’s not all about catching man, just being out in the water watching the seals man, taking in the sun, smelling the ocean. That’s my therapy

Buy a licence and support your nearest staving DFO biologist. Just remember even being in a boat is harmful so stay away from Thoes whales, and plant trees to offset Thoes carbons emissions from your boat.

Last edited:
I feel there is some alternative motive to question catch and release. There will always be foul hooked and small losses at times but not enough to make a case for fishery closures. Education on releasing fish should be a no brainer....
Also, it would be nice if we can put more efforts to remove all fish farms, the survival of smolts that pass through these fecal waters and pick up lice is extremely damaging. Focusing on recreation seems political. Hopefully more kids pick up fishing not less in the future.

I am so done with listening to the whining an sobbing on here on this one from the environmental movement. There are people that fish and people who don't.

The small percentage of people that don't are trying to tell others not to. That is wrong, and same goes for hunting. We need to stop feeling guilty for everything we do here. You can't tell people to stop fishing just because you personally have some phobia about harming something.

Everyday you wake up and breath you impact everything on this planet. Prove me wrong.

Catch and release fisheries are practiced world wide, and some of you really need to get over that. Mark selected fisheries will be a thing of the future, and all groups need to learn to accept that.

Look forward to seeing results of the 2yr UBC SCIENTIFIC catch and release study done using variables, controls, and data.

Last edited:
True science has a control vs studying ONE variable tested at a time. There are so many simultaneous variables in CnR that you may be able to draw some correlations but saying that it is science based is a stretch at best.
Re Hero shots, You have just finished a one mile sprint and you are gasping for breath and some jerk slams your head in a bucket of water to get a nice pic. Meanwhile he has to find the camera, maybe drops you on the floor when you wiggle all the while keeping your head in the bucket, finally after multiple pics your head is pulled from the bucket and you are allowed to wander away. Unfortunately there is a bear/wolf/cougar waiting nearby as it knows you are very tired and will make an easy meal. That is what a salmon endures for every hero shot.

Wow your opening statement above showed me you don't understand science then, and how setting up an experiment works. In engineering we tend to test multiple variables at one time. The argument you are using is same one I have seen from the NGO groups.

Last edited:
Ever wonder where your tax dollars are going in regards to salmon?
Very interesting.

Who are these guys ????
Development and establishment of Vancouver Island chinook committeeIsland Marine Aquatic Working GroupFunding will support the establishment of a Vancouver Island Salmon Committee and supporting Technical Working Group. This collaborative initiative will bring together local expertise, traditional Indigenous knowledge, and local knowledge specific to Vancouver Island and mainland inlet chinook populations, to support efforts to rebuild Southern BC chinook, and to inform broader efforts to conserve and restore all salmon species of Vancouver Island and mainland inlets.$397,541April 15, 2021 to March 31, 2024

Wow your opening statement above showed me you don't understand science then, and how setting up an experiment works. In engineering we tend to test multiple variables at one time. The argument you are using is same one I have seen from the NGO groups.
Hook size, style of hook, barbed, barbless, hook location in mouth, eye, tongue, gills, depth of water fish was hooked in, bait, hoochey, spoon, size of fish, length of fight, gaff, net, nylon net, rubber net, time held out of water, experience level of angler, crew, trolling , jigging, cut plugging, revival tank, size of boat ( distance fish must be lifted out of the water, water temp, time of year and I am sure I am missing a number of other variables.
Go ahead, tell me what the data was that you got and what correlations you got but don't insult my intelligence with "The science says...............................". That is just arrogance making statements like that IMO.
Studies have shown that blah blah blah is beneficial for CnR is fine but please leave science out of it.

Hook size, style of hook, barbed, barbless, hook location in mouth, eye, tongue, gills, depth of water fish was hooked in, bait, hoochey, spoon, size of fish, length of fight, gaff, net, nylon net, rubber net, time held out of water, experience level of angler, crew, trolling , jigging, cut plugging, revival tank, size of boat ( distance fish must be lifted out of the water, water temp, time of year and I am sure I am missing a number of other variables.
Go ahead, tell me what the data was that you got and what correlations you got but don't insult my intelligence with "The science says...............................". That is just arrogance making statements like that IMO.
Studies have shown that blah blah blah is beneficial for CnR is fine but please leave science out of it.
Great ideas, seems like you contributed to study design, most of that list are treatments applied in it...might have missed a few others like blood samples to assess stress markers. Agreed, we shouldn't speculate on the results, that's a bit of cart before horse until the peer reviewed paper is published. BTW the research isn't about determining FRIM, its all about developing a clear understanding of what are the mechanisms of injury that lead to mortality so we can construct best practices to help the angling community lessen FRIM.

At least bc discussions dont impact fisheries decisions in the federally controlled ocean ..... we only have to worry about Lib controlled DFO

Back