Project 'Bad Habits' Build

A little more progress to note. I finally got around to removing the last piece of wood on the exterior of the boat, the front cabin walls. Took a little while to size the new aluminum walls right but after a few hours things were welded into place...the pics dark but you get the idea...

1114121135a.jpg

1114121224a.jpg

1114121611a.jpg

I am torn at the moment and would love some input...

I really really like the massive deck/dancefloor whatever you want to call it. What was going to eat up space towards the helm was I planned on building seatboxes that would make for abundant storage (and would double as a live well), but it would also occupy some pretty decent space.

I started thinking more about on water applications. Chances are these seat boxes would be more often than not, empty. I have storage in the cuddy for life jackets and other odds and ends. I have storage under the walk around where I could put my tool box and quite a few other things (as it equates to 12cubic feet between the two sides) related to daily boating and fishing.

The seat boxes would only be used during extended trips of 5+ days (which I only do 2 to 3 of each season) for storage, or as a livewell for Tuna fishing (which is a 1 or 2 times a year things too)...What I'm torn with is are these storage seat boxes really needed every day on the water??? Probably, definitely not.

What I am thinking of doing is plumbing an igloo cooler to use as a livewell/slush bucket for those one or two tuna trips and putting it on the boat when it is needed. For the longer 5+ day trips I was thinking of getting one or two of the commercial totes (400qt) and simply putting those on the boat when needed...

Then I would just have 4 pedestal seats and nothing more on the dancefloor when fishing (coolers on the swimgrid, safety gear upfront, and tools and tackle in the open space under the walk-around)...

Or would not having fixed storage on the deck be a headache?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey FB. Try taking a couple of pictures and then drawing some boxes and seats on them with the photobucket editor and post em up so we can see what your concerns are. Hard to visualize without seeing what your up against. They can look etch a sketchish lol. Just to give an idea anyways.

its not so much a design or placement of seat box that is the problem...just weather THAT much storage is necessary for day to day fishing...The more I think, the more I think its not.

What brand of ice box do you have John? The big blue one...400L Right?

Like the look of your hardtop windows are big hope your using laminated safety glass
Makes me want to re-do mine I have the glass halfway up then then plastic window above that then goes blackout At a different angle
I never take the plastic out so I will look at how to do and maybe change the plastic sides too
Keep up the good work
S

most definitely using lam safety glass. 1/4". They are going to offer some massive visibility thats for sure. I like the hardtop of your boat but I've never been a fan of the plastic windows as the normally show wear after a few years, and its not something I would want to replace that often.

I was quoted between $6-800 to do all three windows so its probably the same, or less the cost of having new plastic windows and curtains made I would think.

Thanks for the link John....the specs show the weight full with ice (Im assuming), with the 400L weighing 800 LBS...do you know what it weighs empty? can you fire it into the boat yourself?

Are you talking about boxes with a flat padded top that opens or boxes with back to back sleepers on top? How many feet would the deck have open (from the back of the seat boxes to the stern) with and without the boxes?

Seat Location:

1116121329a.jpg

1116121329b.jpg

looking at where I need to position the captain/passenger chairs it could likely be a 2 seater for the most part (with 2 seats at the transom beside the dog house for 3rd and 4th passenger willing to brave the elements.

Without a seatbox for the pedestal seats I would have to install seatpost mounted footrests...no biggy.

But I like the abundance of room at the helm, not crammed in with room to move.

Here is where I intend to put storage up at the helm. The space is available on both sides with a min of 6 cubic feet available for storage under the walk around. I was thinking of accessing it with a door that would open towards the stern. Photos describe it better than I could....for reference the side panels have not been welded into place yet...they are just clamped in position.

1116121330a.jpg

1116121330b.jpg

1116121330bb.jpg

the storage compartment under the walk around would offer quite abit of room. I also thought of installing a tempest tackle drawer or two (one that uses the plano cases)

....thoughtss??

Ah an etch o sketch picture lol. I see now about the side storage. I would put some doors on there and maybe one of those tackle drawer units. Are you going to able to access it with the seats in place etc. Anything in the way?

Just doors leading into the open cavity would be good too just for lifejackets, tool boxes, etc.

Here is where I intend to put storage up at the helm. The space is available on both sides with a min of 6 cubic feet available for storage under the walk around. I was thinking of accessing it with a door that would open towards the stern. Photos describe it better than I could....for reference the side panels have not been welded into place yet...they are just clamped in position.

1116121330a.jpg

1116121330b.jpg

1116121330bb.jpg

the storage compartment under the walk around would offer quite abit of room. I also thought of installing a tempest tackle drawer or two (one that uses the plano cases)

....thoughtss??

i used this space on my trophy for dual battery boxes.

hmm.....that's a really good idea....

....aren't there a few other build threads you could pick on John!? LOL

if it's an update you want, Nu Dimensions cut the last of my paneling out for the transom access. I decided to hold off on cutting the panels for the interior cabin walls as there are a bunch of flush mounted access doors available on the market, found here:
http://www.deepbluemarine.com/products-view.cfm?CategoryID=22

There are a few options that look pretty appealing for storage solutions...

The trip to the window shop may be slightly delayed due to tackle purchases but a deal I can't pass up, but the wait wont be long as the new windows are what I consider a small cost ($800) for what I am getting so I will get it in there asap....

Hopefully I can get into the shop on the weekend to do the "final" welding (tho I know I will never be totally done as new mods always come up)....what else....

Took a look on Florida craigslist for outboards, just for fun....came up with a few which lead me to this and it got me thinking of power options again....

http://www.argmarine.com/new_vehicl...K2012J4I31I24JPMQ4510R0&veh=75282&pov=2949030

pretty much cheaper than an inboard w/ out-drive assembly....makes a guy think I tell ya

now go bug someone else ;)

Cheers!

Just looking for an update was all:p.

Those deepbluemarine boxes look killer. They look like really high quality.
Are you thinking of podding her now?

No not going the podded route...the initial cost of an outboard is still what sways me to an inboard. There are some great finds out there for both low hour/new motors...Realistically the inboard could run (excluding shipping, taxes, possibly duties) 8k for the motor and 3-4k for an Alpha outdrive and transom assembly. My current outdrive and gimble could be rebuilt for under 700, but if I am willing to run a rebuilt outdrive, then I would be willing to run a rebuilt engine, which I am NOT. So I am looking at 12k For the 300hp sterndrive package, Brand new, with warranty. Not too bad.

After coming to the number of 12k, I figured I would just see what was out there for around that price in the way of outboards. I didn't look to hard but was surprised by the price and condition of the motors at argmarine (which claim to be the largest Evinrude dealer in N.America). I don't know a lot about Evinrudes other than they are a 2stroke oil injected motor and they boast no maintenance for the first 300 hours. But the price and age (2008+) of a few of them was pretty comparable to my inboard package. It seems also that most O/B manufacturers only warranty their motors in the country of purchase, so I couldn't warranty a motor in Canada I bought in USA. Anyways, like I said, just had me thinking about the possibly of an outboard.....

Slivo popped by to check out the build and we started talking some crazy ideas lol, but the one that was settled was the fishing deck would be just massive in size without a dog house...would be pretty sweet. But for some reason I am still partial to the boat getting an inboard....at this time. It would be nice to go to a Bravo drive :) but then I am really in O/B Territory.

The deep blue boxes are def. quality. I was disappointed I didn't think to install a glove box in the boat but that company makes it pretty easily done! And after seeing all of their designs I started coming up with all sorts of places to stick them to make for handy storage...I don't want to jinx myself but I am hoping to be running my water trials by April, I'd like to say "the latest" but we will just call it April for now.

Back