Prince Rupert shell fish maybe other activities

Bossmann

So my family and I are heading to prince Rupert to do some fishing with a charter
We will be there a couple days early so I was thinking what other activities are around
We would love to collect mussels or crabs or whatever
Any suggestions would be great.

I started picking through the regulations any help with that would be appreciated also.
I know my regulations inside out but as for the salt water regs no idea where to start.

I'm all for extra fishing as long as it's not to far from Rupert
Also is there any beach access you recommend. I don't care about sand just some kind of access

We don't get out that way often

Thanks in advance

Usually I just ask the locals etc. but thought this might be a good place to start this time

Thanks tubber

shellfish are closed on the North Coast other than McIntyre Bay on QCI. Shouldn't have any problems catching crab and assuming you have a boat launch from Port Edward and head out of the harbor to Kitson Island but watch currents as it will take your traps. Better bet is to run around the small kitson island to Sum Saidi (sp?) which is across inverness passage you'll see a couple bays with kelp which is good for crab and a short run. You can then run back across to Kitson where there's a sandy beach for the family while you let the traps soak. Also allows you to keep an eye on your traps. Use to live there years ago and lots of thieves and your traps will be gone in a short time. Maybe things have changed for the better.

You can also fish for salmon and halibut in that same vicinity. This time of year you can still get into some huge springs, coho should be getting thick and good chance of picking up the odd sockeye especially on a flasher hootchie setup while going for coho. I little run will get you to Eddy Pass. Halibut just anchor at slack tide south of Kitson in the channel in the holes or a short run to Holland Rock. Never had luck at Hazzle Point for halibut in that hole but that's another hali hole close by.

No boat then you can find out if your allowed to drop traps off docks in Rupert Harbor. Not much for beaches in or around Rupert without a boat. Butze Rapids between Rupert and Port Ed has a nice hike down to the tidal rapids if you time it right. You can rent kayaks and go for a paddle in the harbor.

Hope this helps some.

Results

I hate when people ask for info then don't report the results
So here it is
It's obvious that most local don't fish from the shore much
Although we did find a couple places to fish from the shore at the bridge going into Prince Rupert we didn't catch much other than a few Rockfish
We did see quite a few salmon jumping well within casting distance even though

The charter went good fishing was excellent as usual, catching our limit of salmon and halibut in the two days we fished

Apparently the crab fishing is really bad our guide didn't even want to drop crab traps this week as a result

Most of the big springs were already gone but lots of coho

All in all it was a fairly decent trip

thxs for the report Bossman!
there is an abandonned cannery in a small cove straight across from port Ed. I think it's near humpback bay. that name comes to mind anyways. We did well for crab there quite a few years back. also did well for crab at the north end of dundas where most people anchor but that's a bit of a run. make sure you check the regulations for that area, but you know that.
have a good one,
bigD

Back