Prince Rupert, Northerns

Chuck

Be on the Central Coast late July/Aug. and want to make the run up to PR. Would plan on going up to PR mid July. When do the Northerns begin to show up?? ie. Work Ch. etc..

Thanks,

not sure why but i've never done that well mid july around pr rupert. always done much better in mid to late june, august or sept.... northerns I would think would be better in sept... but i'm definitely not an expert on the area. and there are prob better area's out of rupert for mid july that I just haven't found. the way runs timings seem to change you just never know what might and may not be around though. halibut always seem to be around and not too hard to find.

Your going to be a little early in late July/early Aug for Northerns. We usually fish the Work channel for the big guys starting around the first week of September through the end of the month. I have a young family so we don't really even start fishing Rupert until the July long weekend when the weather starts getting really nice. The south end of Melville all the way up to Dundas can be deadly with the coho being hot and heavy with the odd spring mixed in. My profile pic is the hog I caught 2nd week of July last year. The coho run hard right through until early Sept when the Northerns start showing up. I'm going out on our first trip to Rupert on the long weekend and I'll let you know how we do.

Your going to be a little early in late July/early Aug for Northerns. We usually fish the Work channel for the big guys starting around the first week of September through the end of the month. I have a young family so we don't really even start fishing Rupert until the July long weekend when the weather starts getting really nice. The south end of Melville all the way up to Dundas can be deadly with the coho being hot and heavy with the odd spring mixed in. My profile pic is the hog I caught 2nd week of July last year. The coho run hard right through until early Sept when the Northerns start showing up. I'm going out on our first trip to Rupert on the long weekend and I'll let you know how we do.

That is what I figured. Ya be interested to know how it went for you guys.

my experience for the 4 years (96-99) that I lived in Rupert and fished the river between PR and Terrace at China Bar, Exchamsiks, and Kasiks was that the northerns barely showed there until late August, then through September and October. The Chinook should be all over when you are there though.

my experience for the 4 years (96-99) that I lived in Rupert and fished the river between PR and Terrace at China Bar, Exchamsiks, and Kasiks was that the northerns barely showed there until late August, then through September and October. The Chinook should be all over when you are there though.

Was planning to get up to PR July/Aug but too late for the Springs and too early for the Northerns. So no reason to head up there at that time!

Was planning to get up to PR July/Aug but too late for the Springs and too early for the Northerns. So no reason to head up there at that time!
I wouldn't say so. From my experience mid July is when you get the big hogs of chinook that are heading for the Kalum River (largest springs of all the tributaries) and by then you also have sockeye although they're more a bi catch as most they don't tend to target sockeye on the North Coast like they do on the South. Coho start to show up in big number by beginning of August. As an example on an August long weekend we've caught our 4 person daily limit of salmon in half a day with mainly coho but some sockeye, pinks and maybe a spring all tossed into the mix. We usually use the slack tide to get some hali. For the Coho late July/early August you may just need to run further as they may not be staging at the mouth of the Skeena yet.

Back