Hey guys.
Just picked up a 14 tinny
Unfortunately the old 20 merc long shaft
is toast

So looking around and i am a bit surprize at some of the prices
Of used 20 to 30 hp 2 strokes
On used nanaimo there's a 25 hp
He's asking 1600 is that the going rate
On these. Seems high to me but I have nothing to base it on.
What ya figure

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 660
1600 seems a little high, You could probably find them for around a grand, but as kaelc said, Condition, year, and make are all important

I bought a 80's 25hp Merc tiller a few years back for $300 that is not pretty but still running. All depends if you want tiller, controls, charging, elec start. If you are parting yours out throw up a pic of the toasted one!

Ok maybe I could put the money from parted one toward a new one
1980 merc 25
Unknow year on smaller one has 7.5 lid but is a 9.9
9.9 was rebuilt 6 years ago but now frozen
25 hp lower unit won't come loose
About to put a carb kit in it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 448
Brand new 4stroke 25hp motors start around $4000 or so, that can give you a basic idea of a starting point if your looking for a used motor. All depends on year, brand, condition, controls, etc...$1600 for a 25hp could be a great price or a complete waste. I'd look around for a while to get and idea of the prices, decide what your willing to spend and wait for a deal to come around, it's a good time to be looking as boating/fishing season is starting up.
Good luck

Hey guys.
Just picked up a 14 tinny
Unfortunately the old 20 merc long shaft
is toast

So looking around and i am a bit surprize at some of the prices
Of used 20 to 30 hp 2 strokes
On used nanaimo there's a 25 hp
He's asking 1600 is that the going rate
On these. Seems high to me but I have nothing to base it on.
What ya figure

There are a couple of problems I find with pricing of anything used on this island. The first being what I have termed "Vancouver Island Import Tax", basically for anything used that you can get on the mainland, add another 25% to what you would pay over there and that's the price for the convenience of not having to spend $200 on ferries, gas, and time to go pick something up over there. The second problem is that nobody is willing to pay anywhere near asking price on this island, or most other places for that matter, and for that reason prices are usually inflated another 25% to allow room for bartering.

Add those two together and you have now found the reason that used goods here are 25-50% more expensive than mainland prices.

Glad you figured out the issue with motor.

Tight lines

Offtopic, but surprised to see you have a trolling motor with that 20. I would have thought the 20 would troll fine? Maybe the tinny is light and the 20 trolls too fast?

Thought the same thing. Guess I will find out
The little motor is no good anyway. Just waiting on the weather now

Offtopic, but surprised to see you have a trolling motor with that 20. I would have thought the 20 would troll fine? Maybe the tinny is light and the 20 trolls too fast?

I pack a 4hp and a 20 on my 14 tinny purely for safety. If the 20 bags it, I still have the 4 to get me back to the launch.

I troll with the 20.

Buy a 4 stroke...most older 2 strokes belch smoke

Back