Predator Charters 05/25/2009 latest report.

fishin_magician

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: May 25/2009.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

The Gulf Island Chinook fishery continued to be the "hot spot" this past week, though anglers may have had to do a bit more searching or waiting in order to find the fish. Most of the action seemed to move into the afternoon hours, though those who hit the water very early were also rewarded. For those of us fishing out or Vancouver, the fish continue to be located one or two miles out off Gabriola, though the hottest spot continues to be located further West about 5 miles out off Five Fingers.

Spoons and hootchies tend to be the best producing terminal gear during the Gulf Island fishery, but we also saw some of the hottest action occur for anglers using anchovies. Offshore, the fish were getting hit anywhere from 40 feet down to almost 200 feet, so spreading your lines out over a wide depth range is a good idea. I would expect to see the fish move onto "structure in the next few weeks, and then anglers trolling small spoons just off the bottom in 120 to 200 feet of water should be the most productive. The fish could switch locations any time, so be aware of this, and switch up tactics if you find the fishing slow "offshore".

Of course there are still some fish to be found locally, though the South Bowen fishery has slowed significantly (as is typical at this time of year) since the middle of the month. During the past week we started to see some decent action occur in locations along the West side of Bowen Island (Tunstall Bay, waterfall, Hutt Is.) as some fish enter Howe Sound on their way to the Squamish system, and we could potentially find some very good fishing within the next few weeks if these fish decide to hold in good numbers in some area (potentially Hole in the Wall, Grace Islands, Porteau Cove, and/or Defence Islands).

While dragging bottom in the West Bowen locations can continue to produce like it does during the winter fishery, these fish are often found higher in the water column, so trolling a few lines mid-depth is also a good bet. Anchovies will likely take the majority of the fish, though spoons and hootchies will continue to work as well.

Since it is only the last week of May, I am very optimistic about what we should see over the next couple months as the Gulf Island fishery generally peaks between mid-May and mid-July. Of course, running over there to fish required a longer trip than the minimum 5 hour charter (I need it to be a minimum 7 hour charter), and more importantly we need relatively calm water. Luckily, at this time of year we usually find far more than 1/2 the days are calm enough to cross, and when it is too windy, we can usually see that coming a few days in advance.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
www.predatorcharters.com
davek@dccnet.com
(604) 329 - 8642

;)

Well I will respond to that as it may help. Yesterday we fished porteau for 3hrs and nada then moved to the hole for a few hrs.Again nada.Dicided to finish at QA and nada with a couple hours there.Probably shoulda tried tunstall which is an area I was avoiding.Beauty day though with some prawns and crab to finish off. Fished anchovy,splatterback and various spoons. Lookin for fish locally, otherwise I am doin yardwork.

quote:Originally posted by Jimbo

Well I will respond to that as it may help. Yesterday we fished porteau for 3hrs and nada then moved to the hole for a few hrs.Again nada.Dicided to finish at QA and nada with a couple hours there.Probably shoulda tried tunstall which is an area I was avoiding.Beauty day though with some prawns and crab to finish off. Fished anchovy,splatterback and various spoons. Lookin for fish locally, otherwise I am doin yardwork.

It'll pick up shortly here. In Vancouver we take what the tides give us and the Fraser Muddy Milkshake really puts the fishing off and since that started about a week and a half ago..the catching has really quieted down. However, I know a few boats who are going to be out tomorrow so I'll get a good snapshot of local fishing.

Every year it's the same ol' story with that runoff...it really puts fishing off.

I have always understood that silt to be only surface like, 15ft deep or something.Whatever it is things are slooooow here now.Definately would like to here when this get movin again!

Back