Pre-purchase inspection

Wwunder

Hi all, I'm looking at an outboard that is a private sale. The motor is off the boat and stored in the seller's garage. I want to have it inspected by a mechanic prior to the sale, but it will either require getting it moved to a shop for the full inspection or hiring a mobile mechanic to assess it in place. My suspicion is that taking it to a full shop will allow full run-up and ECU diagnostics, but a mobile mechanic may rely more on compression tests and oil inspection. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm... just called him. He's not interested in doing it and didn't know anyone who he thought would do it.

I'm nor sure you find anyone reputable this time of year that could do it right away. This time of year everyone is usually booking out a couple or more weeks ahead

Call my friend Jason at Gen y marine, he's mobile an worked at all the big dealers..he knows all brands tricks. Can't say enough good.
250 818-7216

Thanks Nootka, I spoke with Jason and he seems both interested and available next week. The only thing missing is he can't download the ECU. Anyone know where I could get my hands on a cable and a reader or the yamaha diagnostic software (YDS)? I see them on ebay, but shipping will take too long.

Back