prawning transport

crazycanuck

Im going prawning for 3 straight days out esperanza/nootka soon and plan on loading up I believe 250 a day per licence is limit total limit 500. There will be 4 of us so transporting the prawns properly is in order... do you process them right away(pull head off) and bag portions and freeze them raw? or do you and I have the resources to cook large amounts then freeze them? Its obviously a lot of time and work and want the best taste cause I love the sea bugs! cheers

200 per person per day, 400 possession. Leave them in clean salt water heads off until I can get them in bags and freeze them in fresh water.

Clean right away and freeze in water, ocean water preferrably,
I like to portion them out into freezer bags, fill with water and squeeze out remaining air lay flat to freeze,

Heads off asap for sure esp. if they are spot prawns. Spot prawns produce an enzyme when they die that turns the meat into mush.

Interesting problem regarding freezing before transporting. Does DFO estimate numbers, or have to be able to count?

Tails off ASAP and good rinse with wash down hose. We use ziplock bags with one hundred in each and put them on ice. Easy for inspection if required and easy for the split when you get home. We use yogurt tubs with 50 in each and filled with water.

Excellent feedback! heads off right away, rinse and freeze in salt water ziplocks it is then! Thanks for the limits I just haven't looked yet so 400 of those babys on my steak and salads mmmmm mouth just started watering!

Bows Up Hawks Year !

Excellent feedback! heads off right away, rinse and freeze in salt water ziplocks it is then! Thanks for the limits I just haven't looked yet so 400 of those babys on my steak and salads mmmmm mouth just started watering!

Bows Up Hawks Year !

Heads off and into the crab trap with them right away.Bag them small medium large and jumbo for cooking at home, You don't want to cook your smalls with your jumbos.Keep them on ice at camp for no longer than a couple days,or cook them prawns and ice again.

fish camp, good call on separating small med. large forsure.... I wish I could find crabs out there , we gave it a go in a few places last year and got a couple but really the otters out there have decimated the crabbing...

I freeze my prawns (in water) in 650g yogurt containers. They stack nicely in the freezer, and I find the ziplocs require careful handling to avoid puncture.

Back