power tilt or trim tabs?

sly_karma

Crew Member
Bought a project boat back in late spring, 19.5 f/g runabout with a 1980 OMC 140hp on it, no power tilt/trim fitted. Engine needed some work but is running smooth and strong now. I researched and sourced a used power tilt/trim assembly for $600 and the installation should be within my modest mechanical skill set. Then I set to thinking, could the money be better spent on hydraulic trim tabs. A new set of Bennets appropriate for this size hull cost about the same as the used PTT set. Boat will be used primarily for salmon fishing, mostly Sunshine Coast area. Rarely beach or trailer the boat.

I'm interested in opinions backed by experience. The trim tab makers make all sorts of claims regarding improved top end, hole shot and rough water handling. It's the last I'm interested in. Hole shot under load is fine and I don't pull skiers or wakeboarders. Top speed is 40 mph with 19" prop and that's plenty. Is there any appreciable difference in boat handling in the chop and slop with tabs that I won't get from adding PTT to the engine?

T&T and Trim tabs are completely different from each other. Its like saying should I go with a sonar? or GPS? In my opinion, you need both. You can get away without either, but why?

I get that with tabs I will have lateral trim adjustments that PTT on my engine can't offer. After that I'm fuzzy on tabs, never had them before. If you have a few minutes to give me the short version I'd very much appreciate it.

on a motor that old i would say get the trim tabs that way when you repower you won't be throwing money away. your talking about a 30+ year old outboard time isn't on your side.

with trim tabs you have more control of how the boat sits in the water when running you can keep the bow down at lower speeds you can compensate for wind lift and unbalanced loads. better economy because you can get and stay on plain at lower speeds. bottom line they should when operated properly keep the boat laterally level in all conditions and minimize bow lift.
they take a bit to the hang of but once you have it figured out there great. a tip would be tap the control button to see the change in handling don't hold it down or it'll feel like the boats going to flip. small adjustments make huge differences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unbalanced loads... the other shoe just dropped. I have a 4 stroke kicker to install yet, 110 lb plus bracket off to port side. PTT won't help with that.

100 % on the trim tabs,can use them to get the boat on step ,and then to level the boat off when underway,in my boat,when someone stands up from sitting,changes the weight distribution,thus causing a list to one side,a quick adjustment with the trim tab,and a level ride again.if you follow used victoria,can always see used trim tabs for sale,also Akoo marine in Sidney,and the boaters exchange in Sidney

I say tabs all the way I even installed them on a 18 ft lodge boat now the owners uses that boat and loves them. there not that hard to install either

Good luck Wolf

A friend put tabs on his 17' Double Eagle and I put them on my Hourston. Best money that either of us has spent on our boats.
Dave

I went with both and to date I find better speed with trim and tilt and more comfort and balance with the trim tabs.

Trim tabs all the way. Or both would be even better. Balancing out a boat at speed is awesome and safer in the wrong conditions. You will love your fuel bill too and it they will pay for themselves quite quickly.

Fuel bill needs help all right. That old crossflow 140 is running sweet, takes me to 40 mph without trouble, but it has a thirst like an Irishman on payday. I've started researching price and availability on trim tabs. Also need to see how much real estate I have on the transom with a kicker yet to install. Thanks to all for the replies.

Back