Power pro,what size??

abbyfireguy

Just a quick question regarding power pro.
What size are most people using on their downriggers? 200 lb or 250 lb test????

Thanks

I'm only using 150# Tuff Line and haven't lost a cannon ball yet despite a number of boat turning hookups, every bit of diameter savings helps when fishing deep on sporty gear. If you only fish shallow it propably isn't an issue but you likely wouldn't need the extra strength fishing shallow anyways...

I use 130 and use the rubber snubber, which will break well before the 130 will. Cuts through the water nicely and works just fine.

quote:Originally posted by SIR

I'm only using 150# Tuff Line and haven't lost a cannon ball yet despite a number of boat turning hookups, every bit of diameter savings helps when fishing deep on sporty gear. If you only fish shallow it propably isn't an issue but you likely wouldn't need the extra strength fishing shallow anyways...

Hi: How much weight are you hanging? I like to use 15 lbs., but last year switched to 12 lbs. with fins just to cut the cost of buying weights, and the likelyhood of breaking SS cables with the heavierer weight.

I'd like to switch back to 15 if the PowerPro line will handle the weight and drag without a problem.

Hey SH, it should be simple math, if you have a 70 lb. snubber and 130 or 150 lb. downrigger line, the snubber will break first. The other thing that I like about the snubber is it makes handling the cannon ball that much easier..... :D SS

Those snubers are great. I met an old time in Port Alberni a couple of years ago and he just used cotton line that was 60lb test which I though was a great idea but I still use the snubbers. (too lazy to mess with the cotton line)

We use 15 and 20# leads so no worries.

So, you are running 15# & 20# weights on 150# TUF line?

Have you ever snagged bottom with this setup, and how did that work out?

How often do you have to trim a bit off the line and re-tie it?

Do the Scotty line stops work with the 150# test line?

I am seriously looking at switching to PowerPro line this season, and would like some comments by those of you using this type of line.

Thanks,

I'm fishing 130 TUFF XP and use the red scotty line stops and they work fine. I also attach a two foot piece of SS DR wire to the end, so that my quick release has something to clip to.

The snubbers work as I lost two balls yesterday to VI and both broke at the snubber, no problem with the line. I like the colour and they cut through the water better, but I do miss the hum....;)

Cheers

SS

Sushihunter,

Here's a couple past threads. Should give you all the information you need.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8090&SearchTerms=power,pro

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7339&SearchTerms=power,pro

Sitka,

Rather than attaching a short piece of cable to attach your release clips to, I suggest you tie direct to the swivel that snaps to the ball. Then use a red stopper a few inches up the line and put a drop of super glue on it. You can then attach the release just below the stopper and it stays put and never rides up.

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20
Sitka,

Rather than attaching a short piece of cable to attach your release clips to, I suggest you tie direct to the swivel that snaps to the ball. Then use a red stopper a few inches up the line and put a drop of super glue on it. You can then attach the release just below the stopper and it stays put and never rides up.

Tried that and I am sure it will work in the summer, but it did not when fishing 180'+. I found the it would eventually slide up , or down, the line when at that depth. Or maybe I am not using the proper "Super Glue"[:p]:D[:0]

SS

The new red scotty stops slip a bit on the 200# until you glue them. I am very happy with the 200# Powerpro. Keep in mind that the 150# is very thin in comparrison to other brands like Tuffline XP, Bullybraid Etc.
Instead of snubbers , i use 4- 6 feet of 150# test green ganyon line. It stretches and works great to snap your bottom clip on. Attach the Powerpro to a swivel small enough so that rolls through the pulley and hits the stop, no stops are required that way. then 20 feet down you can glue a stop for stacking a second line if you wish.

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20

Sushihunter,

Here's a couple past threads. Should give you all the information you need.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8090&SearchTerms=power,pro

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7339&SearchTerms=power,pro

Thanks for the links - some good reading there!

I think I'm going to have to give it a try this season on both my downriggers and my Halibut reels.

quote:So, you are running 15# & 20# weights on 150# TUF line?

Have you ever snagged bottom with this setup, and how did that work out?

How often do you have to trim a bit off the line and re-tie it?

Do the Scotty line stops work with the 150# test line?

I am seriously looking at switching to PowerPro line this season, and would like some comments by those of you using this type of line

- Yes to 15/20# wieghts on 150 tuff line.
- Yes to hitting bottom on a regular basis(it's how I verify my trolling depth), occassionly hard enough to turn the boat and have not lost a ball yet.
- Have not trimmed line in two years as there is no sign of "fuzziness" on the line to the scotty plastic cannon ball connector. The connector takes the abrassion to the cannonball no the line.
- I don't use line stops for my release clips, I just clip right into the cannonball eye. I do use line stops for my auto-retrieve set point where I just use two of the old style clips crazy glued back to back. A few times a year the salt water softens up the glue so I have to redo them but I can live with it for not having the change out wires and put bandaids on my fingers from working with frayed cables
- There have been enough posts from folks using all sorts of braided lines on their downriggers that I think it's a pretty safe bet that you can use any of the major brands and be happy

Good Luck

- Yes to hitting bottom on a regular basis(it's how I verify my trolling depth), occassionly hard enough to turn the boat and have not lost a ball yet.
- Have not trimmed line in two years as there is no sign of "fuzziness" on the line to the scotty plastic cannon ball connector. The connector takes the abrassion to the cannonball no the line.
- I don't use line stops for my release clips, I just clip right into the cannonball eye. I do use line stops for my auto-retrieve set point where I just use two of the old style clips crazy glued back to back. A few times a year the salt water softens up the glue so I have to redo them but I can live with it for not having the change out wires and put bandaids on my fingers from working with frayed cables
- There have been enough posts from folks using all sorts of braided lines on their downriggers that I think it's a pretty safe bet that you can use any of the major brands and be happy

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply!

I do like the idea of going to the 150# line for the ability of going deep, but I also like thicker line for ease of handling.

Also, with the thinner line, I would be concerned about small nicks in the line. On the thicker line you have more to hold the load if you do get nicks. Should give you more time to discover it and re-tie the line.

As much as I like the idea of 150#, I think I might try the 200# PowerPro line.

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply!

I do like the idea of going to the 150# line for the ability of going deep, but I also like thicker line for ease of handling.

Also, with the thinner line, I would be concerned about small nicks in the line. On the thicker line you have more to hold the load if you do get nicks. Should give you more time to discover it and re-tie the line.

As much as I like the idea of 150#, I think I might try the 200# PowerPro line.

You will not be disapointed with 200# Power Pro. They all work, but this stuff is awesome. Lots of guys switching there hali reels over to it as well. less in the drag department compared to the other brands. Powerpro does sponsor me with some free gear each year, however i would not use it if it did'nt perform.:D

Back