Post Atlantic salmon catch

Called the DFO atlantic reporting hotline.Left my name # Email and a brief discription.Notice how dark the gills are.DSCF2425.JPG

Caught a 14 lb. Atlantic off Quadra by the Green can on Friday. The DFO guy in Campbell River figures it was from the Washington spill. He would have liked to get the carcass or at least the head and stomach.

20170918_094728.png

Caught a 14 lb. Atlantic off Quadra by the Green can on Friday. The DFO guy in Campbell River figures it was from the Washington spill. He would have liked to get the carcass or at least the head and stomach.

View attachment 35422
Should be sending these pics to the local news .... maybe then the general public will see what they are eating ..... barf that looks gross

Yesterday off oyster Bar (note the river changed channels) a atlantic was to be caught and reported.today when approched with story I was asked if I was the one who caught the one in eve river dump.As a man with a son who enjoys fly fishing ,I positioned myself a new friend with a fly out of a 11' tinny today .Took to the beach to land and photo of big buck coho 10# .I don't like that atantic salmon are in the estuarys eating salmon fry and smolts B.

Just check my mail the fellow I speak of sent me mail from eve riv trip.Dave H love the hat idea saves my ears from the burn.IMG_1357.JPG

Yesterday off oyster Bar (note the river changed channels) a atlantic was to be caught and reported.today when approched with story I was asked if I was the one who caught the one in eve river dump.As a man with a son who enjoys fly fishing ,I positioned myself a new friend with a fly out of a 11' tinny today .Took to the beach to land and photo of big buck coho 10# .I don't like that atantic salmon are in the estuarys eating salmon fry and smolts B.

You cought one that had salmon smolts in its belly or you just creating fake news? Any evidence?

have you had a look at the pictures ?atlantic tooths are bigger than chinook .they spawn more like a steelhead and fight stonger than a pacific fish ,and are goblin up the fry and chase on smolts .If the atantic or seals don't get them fry ,it must be the wild stocks of salmon.What we must do as human is try now to prevent the harvest fish from feeding during spawn ,when the fry and smolts are leaving the estuarys.so catch and release to curb there appitite.

I suggest since there us a lot of us on here that help with enhancement to post it up on page if you encounter in the river or creek systems throughout fall. I will be watching out for these parasites and sure will encounter some of them.

have you had a look at the pictures ?atlantic tooths are bigger than chinook .they spawn more like a steelhead and fight stonger than a pacific fish ,and are goblin up the fry and chase on smolts .If the atantic or seals don't get them fry ,it must be the wild stocks of salmon.What we must do as human is try now to prevent the harvest fish from feeding during spawn ,when the fry and smolts are leaving the estuarys.so catch and release to curb there appitite.

I'm not really sure what you have posted here, but it seems you are blaming low salmon numbers on Atlantic salmon, seals and even native salmon eating all the fry. I'm not aware of any evidence that predation by atlantic salmon has any effect whatsoever. Diseases and sea lice from the ones still in pens are a far more important threat. If native salmon are eating some, its just part of the natural ecosystem, and the same can be said of seals. There is some evidence of seals gorging on hatchery smolts that are released in the millions at a time, and are completely naive to predators having been raised in concrete pools. That is on us for our interference and destruction of the ecosystem, not the seals though. Hatcheries combined with over harvesting are the principal means of destruction of the wild Pacific Salmon.

I'm not really sure what you have posted here, but it seems you are blaming low salmon numbers on Atlantic salmon, seals and even native salmon eating all the fry. I'm not aware of any evidence that predation by atlantic salmon has any effect whatsoever. Diseases and sea lice from the ones still in pens are a far more important threat. If native salmon are eating some, its just part of the natural ecosystem, and the same can be said of seals. There is some evidence of seals gorging on hatchery smolts that are released in the millions at a time, and are completely naive to predators having been raised in concrete pools. That is on us for our interference and destruction of the ecosystem, not the seals though. Hatcheries combined with over harvesting are the principal means of destruction of the wild Pacific Salmon.
Mostly agree except for downplaying role of massive increase in seal and sealion population and how this has effected the salmon and steelhead populations (see Austen et al and other research)...numbers as high as 50% predation on smolts is pretty significant.Yes this is on hatchery fish but even a 25% (could well be much more) predation estimate on wild populations is tremendous and shouldn't be ignored.

Back