Port Renfrew

Geez, i remember the days when we had no pics... period.
wasn't that long ago.
I guess we were all liar's back then.
:D

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

I'm afraid highlights I won't be posting any pictures as I do not carry a digital camera or for that matter own one.
If I post on here that I caught fish and with what and depth etc I am doing it for the benefit of all on here , so sorry in advance for my posts in the future they will contain no pictures unless someone wants to give the old pensioner here , a digital camera and show me how to post pic's on my 'puter .

AL

Lots of halli all week limits daily some highlights were Jolly Rodgers back at it again with a 186lbs yesterday as well as 134and a 90somthing today.There was also 165,145and100lbsyesterday.

Salmon was slow with a few fish weighed in up to 40# havn't heard of a 52 weighed in but you never know i guess.I don't know many people who would get a fish that big and not weigh it in.

First PR mission yesterday in my new-to-me boat...a success overall, in that I got there and back in one piece, including some reasonably snotty weather in the afternoon. Got some surf, not great, but into the water, and that's good.

Fish-wise, a little bit of humble pie. It is quite a bit easier on your buddy's geared up charter boat with the hotspots dialed in! Although we didn't really devote the time needed to do it right. An hour or so chasing salmon, saw a couple of teens caught at Camper. A couple of hours chasing halibut, couple of rock cod and that's it. A bunch of crabs so as to not come home empty handed.

It sounded like it was spotty out there, with the charter guys doing well and a few others, but lots of folks wandering around with skunk reports...so in good company I guess.

There's definitely fish out there, but you have to work for them.

Oh yeah, and a lesson learned: new anchoring system worked ok in the end, BUT when you buy that big new coil of 450' of line, make sure you unspool it and loosen it up home, not under the tension of 50 pounds of anchor and chain pulling down. SERIOUS rat's nest of line, got to spend an hour and a half or so in bouncy seas untangling endless knots. Caused one buddy to get seasick and another seriously impatient, but we got it going eventually.

Good times! [^]

JB

fishingportrenfrew.ca
fishingsooke.ca

Here's a question for Bananas, Last Chance and any other Port Renfrew guides out there. I won an 8 hr. charter booked out of PR set up for June 28 for both hali & salmon (hopefully). In the meantime I have been monitoring this chat line. It seems that the hali fishing is pretty good but the springs or coho haven't shown up yet at Swiftsure or the beach. So what advice would you give. Stay with the charter on the 28th or re-book it 2-4 weeks later???

Thanks for your advice.

Sharp hooks and full traps!

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

Here's a question for Bananas, Last Chance and any other Port Renfrew guides out there. I won an 8 hr. charter booked out of PR set up for June 28 for both hali & salmon (hopefully). In the meantime I have been monitoring this chat line. It seems that the hali fishing is pretty good but the springs or coho haven't shown up yet at Swiftsure or the beach. So what advice would you give. Stay with the charter on the 28th or re-book it 2-4 weeks later???

Thanks for your advice.

I would just go for it now. We have not had piles of springs at Swiftsure for a few years now, we have been getting the odd little blip out there from time to time, but the days of throwing plugs at random out for springs have not come back to us yet.

At the moment, there is some excellent hali fishing, and you should have a good crack at some springs on the beach. I have not been out for a few weeks, but overall fishing has been good.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com

Go now you sound like almost all fisherman it is called sport FISHING not sports catch if you are looking to go for limits sell it and go to a fish store there is no guarantee in fishing it is hard enough to try these days to get fish enjoy what you have won.

Good luck Wolf

ps ill apoligize now if I have offened you in any way just tired of that same question when we are trying to make a living.

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Go now you sound like almost all fisherman it is called sport FISHING not sports catch if you are looking to go for limits sell it and go to a fish store there is no guarantee in fishing it is hard enough to try these days to get fish enjoy what you have won.

Good luck Wolf

ps ill apoligize now if I have offened you in any way just tired of that same question when we are trying to make a living.

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Can appreciate that! :)

Seems like a pretty reasonable question to me. If you are planning a skiing trip, you'd like to know the likely differences in conditions for times of year, good powder but cold vs sunny but slushy. Same here.

Pros and cons of now: more chance of a BIG halibut, but fewer in between. Decent salmon fishing, reasonable chance at a good one, but maybe not as hot and heavy as mid-summer.

Pros and cons of late July: more of a focus on salmon, with big ones close to shore, and smaller feeder springs out at the Bank. If coho are running by then, it can be seriously fun catching them on the surface. Usually lots of halibut, but smaller chickens by then. A negative might be availability, many charters already booked for much of July and August, also more crowded in the prime spots.

But as Wolf says, it's fishing, not catching, so there's never a guarantee of catching fish...sometimes it's incredibly hot one day, cold the next, you never know.

Make sure you have fun out there either way, no matter how the fishing is!

fishingportrenfrew.ca
fishingsooke.ca

It depends on whats more important you won't find much better halli fishing than the end of june there are some springs out there but not as plentifull as aug but the big thing is that if you are going with anybody who is a full time guide he will already be booked up.

My advise is go have a good time catch a bunch of halli's and if you get a few springs to great.

Who are you going with? and good luck.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will take your advice and go this Saturday as planned. I and my 3 buddies will be out there with Island Outfitters so try to save a few big ones for us. Thanks again.

Whole in the Water,remember,the 2 best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't.Have Fun

Springs caught between Cullite and Logan Creeks about 1/4 mile off the beach hugging the bottom , cop car Coyotes and Anchovy doing the business.
Most are in the teens but L.C.(doesn't want me to use his name) got two in the low twenties yesterday , other boats were taking 15 to 18 lbers on the early morning flood off of Cullite and Logan , Camper yielded a few also.

Going back again on Saturday.

AL

Got a 26 1/2 Spring just west of Logan last Saturday at 45' on a turn at about 7:30 a.m.--anchovey. Was a little football--a good fighter!

Yeah Last Chance I usually drop from 40 to 50' on the out turn from the kelp bed and then crank her over when even with the old snag about 1/4 mile West of the creek mouth.

AL

Back