Port Renfrew

how far out (how deep is the water) are you going to find these coho?

Also did the big 20 pound san juan coho ever show up in the last two years? I have fished the coho derby both of the last two years and both times the fishing was pathetic. Wondering if this is another run thats been almost wiped out or were the fish just early/late the last couple of years?

A lot of big coho came thundering in last year late October( one pulse in the last week in 1 hour was over 1500 ) and November , some were still coming through in to December.

AL

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get from the town of Lake Cowachin to Renfrew through the new paved road with a boat in tow?

Is the back road to renfrew paved all the way or is it a logging road with gravel and dust? How long from Victoria to Renfrew the back way!

cby

It's a trade off,
2 hours to Renfrew by the Sooke route....
1 hour 20 mins to Cowichan lake and and another 40 mins to Renfrew
by the back road.

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Last time I was in Renfrew we drove in the coast route, on the way out,through Lake Cowichan.55 minutes longer.Used Vetrans Parkway as the mark at Sooke Road.There ia a total of 5 clicks not paved,couple of narrow spots,but other than that its a great road,easy on the truck and trailer.Dan

I was in Renfrew in July. Took the Sooke route with truck, camper and 22' boat. Although it is paved all the way it was brutal with the weight of the camper on the truck. Very very bumpy, most of the time after Sooke it was 40-60km/h due to the lumpy pavement. If youre coming from the north use Lake Cow rd for sure. Just towing a boat,no camper, would probably be waaaay easier though on the Sooke route.

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

Well just got back from Renny.. 3 days and 10 fish with a couple over 30.. Fishing in general is slow after the big rains. Fished Nitnat one day and hit fish but they where all around 13#, but we were getting them at 11 ft so they hit pretty hard.. The day before guys were getting bigger ones but over night they must of pushed in.. Lots of guys are searching for coho and hallies but its a tough go right now. If you are going up hopfully things change? Now its back to Sooke :(

Tournament Proven !

Well Fins you fared way better than us for fish but I probably won on the gas bill. Fished Camper for 2 days, hit 4 fish between 13 and 20 pounds. Very slow, bite came on around 3pm both days, 41 ft was the depth. No BS we had a bear take one of our fish out of our cooler right in the Trail Head parking lot, teeth marks in the cooler, claw marks all over the side of the truck and down a fish, thats a first!

Bear problem all over Renny. Was staying at the Wild ones place and some people left garbage out so they come back every night. We had everything in the truck or it would have been gone. The guide next to us had his freezer opened and bait all over the parking lot. Not the Bears fault people just need to Bear proof..

Tournament Proven !

We fished the beach yesterday for ten + hours without a sniff. We only saw one fish on which was eventually lost at the boat. It was pretty foggy and bumpy in the morning...and I almost lost my cookies [xx(]. It sure seemed slow up there. We didn't seem many fish at the tables.

Stopped and watched this guy on the river bank on the way in.
IMG_2474.jpg

We were also treated to a pretty nice sunset on the way home at Jordan River.
IMG_2490.jpg

Highliner
Fish2-2.gif

Back