Port Renfrew or Sooke?

fish brain

Crew Member
I will be taking my son and his girlfriend fishing for Coho this Saturday.
I know the fishing is good in both places right now. I am looking for quality fish not just keepers.
If you had the choice of either, which would you choose?

I will be taking my son and his girlfriend fishing for Coho this Saturday.
I know the fishing is good in both places right now. I am looking for quality fish not just keepers.
If you had the choice of either, which would you choose?
I’d vote for Renfrew, assuming the conditions were favourable. Can’t beat those San Juan grade coho!

I've never gone to Renfrew for coho. Do you fish them right in the bay, or out deeper like in Sooke?

Port Renfrew for sure!
I caught my personal best casting spoons in San Juan Bay. 22lbs!
I was using a gold Gibbs Iron Head spoon, but I have also seen good luck with larger Blue Fox spinners and the perch pattern Zingers.

We used to fish them deeper 400-500' depth. Not sure where you're coming from but
you may want to consider the extra fuel and travel time to get to Renfrew.

We used to fish them deeper 400-500' depth. Not sure where you're coming from but
you may want to consider the extra fuel and travel time to get to Renfrew.
I'm in Mill Bay. It's about an extra hour from my house. I usually make one or two trips per year, but I have never gone for coho season.

I personally don't think its worth it for just a day trip. Coho fishing is just as good in Sooke right now, and closer.

I really doubt there are many 20+ around this year based on the sizes of coho down been seeing down in Sooke. Years ago yes but not so much now. Seem to be on smaller side this year.

Another thing to consider is that if you fish out of Port Renfrew and inside San Juan Bay the regs allow you to retain more wild fish:
- Sooke is 4 Coho a day, only 1 may be unmarked
- Port Renfrew is the same except for inside San Juan Bay which is 4 Coho per day only 2 may be unmarked

Attachments

• 20-co-chq-eng.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 14
Another thing to consider is that if you fish out of Port Renfrew and inside San Juan Bay the regs allow you to retain more wild fish:
- Sooke is 4 Coho a day, only 1 may be unmarked
- Port Renfrew is the same except for inside San Juan Bay which is 4 Coho per day only 2 may be unmarked
Coho fishing is really good in Sooke right now. My brother has been out recently and had no problem boxing out.
So, if you are looking for quantity over quality Sooke would be the best choice.
The fish he is getting are 7 - 9 lbs. with a few larger wild fish.
Before October 1st he released one that was 16lbs +

Thanks for the input to everyone who chimed in.
We decided to head for Port Renfrew on Saturday. The fishing was slow. We only brought home four Coho to about 10 lbs all caught on the same rod. White hootchie- green flasher at 50 feet. We tried everything on the other side, including another white hootchie. We just couldn't get that rod to catch anything.
The highlight of the of the trip was a the humpback show that went on for a couple of hours.

We decided to head for Port Renfrew on Saturday. The fishing was slow. We only brought home four Coho to about 10 lbs all caught on the same rod. White hootchie- green flasher at 50 feet. We tried everything on the other side, including another white hootchie. We just couldn't get that rod to catch anything.
The highlight of the of the trip was a the humpback show that went on for a couple of hours.
Great work, you outfished us in Sooke! Hope the kids enjoyed it.

As soon as it rains there will be another wave of them coming in, not unusual for catching coho in November, just this year there may be more. Got my bigger cohos on rainy days. Crabbing is usually good in November in Renfrew.

Great work, you outfished us in Sooke! Hope the kids enjoyed it.
They did.
My son's Girlfriend had never seen whales. She was in awe the whole time. At one point a huge whale breached about 100 feet in front of us, from out of no where. So I shut the boat down and we pulled the gear until it moved on. It gave a fluke slap and a couple of tail wags before it was far enough away to start the boat back up.
I would have taken them out just to see the whales had we known the show was going to be so good. The fish were a bonus.

Back