Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Wow, second station nice FD !

Only thing is , I would need to mount an auto backup camera to the bow , with a feed to a screen on the transom so see over my helm (or does that come with the second station ha ha ha ) , Love it !!!
Have a great and safe Canada Long Weekend Duds .... I got to work ..... grrrr

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Alberni fisher any pics of that side scan? I bought the 7 earlier this year and would like to see some photos of the structure scan.

Great report and pics guys. Keeps the blood flowing for sure.

ANOTHER BAMFIELD REPORT:

hey, Gents--Just got back, cleaned up Betsy and got her back in the barn. Did not have the firework display that some of you guys seem to have had but it was a respectable trip. The real bummer: brand new Furuno GPS and digital sounder puked on me. Thank the Lord for a hand-held Garmin I got on eBay two days before we left, "just in case".... I also had a back-up sounder which saved the day. Finally, my being so neurotic about details like back-up electronics paid off big-time......

The bread and butter spot for us was Kirby. Started on Monday morning at low slack---four teeners all on plug-cut blue label and a low 20 on a Cookies n' Cream Coyote. The evening tide was not great--- a few 12's and that was it

The next day, I was all set to go to Meares but I saw people coming back from that direction returning to Kirby so we stayed put and ground out another low-slack living.

Lots of pilchards showing, a few more teeners and some more 12's , all on cut-plug herring. Fished Bordelais multiple times---no soap. That place drives me nuts--incredible spot, lots of drama, but I can't buy a fish there!

Wednesday, a few more 12 to 16's at Kirby, but no size. We'd heard of a 37 at Kirby the day before so we were frothing at the mouth for a fish with shoulders.

Then the wind blew and Kirby got downright dangerous--not a warm and fuzzy place to be when she blows NW!!!!

Went to the other side of Bordelais and down the lee-side of Edward King. Nothing at the top end but we're down to Voss Point just past Dodger Channel and I'm looking at a blank screen on my back-up sounder beginning to feel like I'm spinning my wheels when I get a dramatic take-down and a smokin' run on the old Hardy Eddystone.

A splendid mid-20 fish. It was plugged with needlefish which got me thinking--maybe I was scaring them off with the blue label and I should drop down in size of my gear.

But here's another part I should add to this report--- we saw lots of guys at Kirby during all the tides we fished there and truth be told, I saw very few nets. And any time we hooked up, boats came towards us and wanted to know what we were using and what color and how deep, which sometimes helps tell a story about how rich the waters are beneath your boat.

So go figure---it did not seem to be wall-to-wall fish on the inside as you might presume from reading some of the earlier reports, but if you put your time in the right spot, it's easy to think they're freaking everywhere.

Short story---we worked hard for a handful of nice fish ---that's my idea of a good trip.

here's the kiss n' tell.....

IMG_3273.jpg

IMG_3276-1.jpg

And I have to include a mood-shot of Bordelais---what a cool part of Barkley Sound!

IMG_3274.jpg

Piles of fish around over the last few days inside Barkley Sound. Really doesn't matter where you fish, so long as you had good bait around 100 feet.

Fished outside yesterday. It was not lights out but still pretty good numbers of fish. Here is a few pics from vid we took. Ill post one up this week.

uvs110703-001.jpg

uvs110703-006.jpg

uvs110704-001.jpg

Getting some underwater footage on a spring

uvs110704-003.jpg

Great pics, Kelly. Captures the feeling really well.

We just returned from Barkley Sound after 3 days of camping and fishing. The sockeye were biting well in the inlet, and we found coho and springs from Pill, Swale, and Meares. Didn't land any big ones, though. Largest was only 10lbs. Most of the fish were in less than 60 feet of water, and caught on a large white hootchie which outfished all our other gear.

spackleback hooch, 60 ft, biggest was 28... that was meares/austin... 8 springs up to 20 and 3 hali in 2.5 hrs at the big bank. glow cuttlefish on both sides hitt'n..

Heading out for 4 days ...Starting Thursday....should be fun...anyone else out there the same time? :)

Kelly, looks like the Gaff is your answer to landing Springs.
just curious, how many do you miss ? :confused:

Haha my buddy didn't even have a net on the boat. We don't miss many but it is funny as hell when it does happen. Havent knocked em off the hook yet though.I have vids of a few misses and will throw them up.

Trophywife did you get my pm?

Kelly, looks like the Gaff is your answer to landing Springs.
just curious, how many do you miss ? :confused:

scott, don't even think about it, use a net they are as rare as hen's teeth down here ;) ...sammy

reply sent, back up around the 25th

That was my secert Needle fish hoochie that you were given to try.....opps I guess no more :)
Talk to you when you get out there =:D

i only nailed one , but it was a gooder.. , didn't show anyone , i have my own top secrets lol...

were even now haha , my honky kicked that one's A$$ though , I'll give ya one when i see yu there for sure.....

got a few more ta test for Rob , will keep ya all posted...

cheers

fd

Drop a package off for you to pick up when you come thru from Rob...Look forward to testing your favorite one out :)

Back