Podding a SeaSport 22

If you do go ahead and do this I would remove engines and drives, plug holes, and then refloat the boat and see where it sits. You could put sand bags on the swim platform and find out exactly how much weight or flotation you need back there. Seeing you would be removing about 2500 pounds I think your going to be pretty light in the stern
Although you are going to have to add another huge fuel tank to feed those outboards so that will help
Not a bad idea actually. Ugh, if only all these stock gambles would hit!

You have a hull extension not pod so it should lift up butt end. Think you overthinking it a bit. From photo looks level in water. That is the complaint of inboard usually butt heavy. Run it first.

Looking at the pictures again, if you sank the stern any more the swim grid would be in the water.

I'm pretty sure PDR just makes standard sizes and they pick one that fits.

Ya, I don’t think it’s too much of an issue but it’s definitely higher in the stern than the bow. A full tank of gas and all my gear in the back will help even it out. At full tilt up, the main engine just touches the water so I wouldn’t want to go much deeper in the butt end. We weren’t able to get it out for the first test run - the shop forgot to install a small connection rod in the leg that shifts gears! The shop was quick to fix it but By the time we got it done, we missed the high tide and the day was gone. Back to the driveway until next weekend!

Looks good .

Don't worry about the height. Couple coolers and all your spares/gear you'll be right there. Its nice when you don't have to listen to your scuppers all the time when your in the back fishing. Also sucks when you go on the grid and your shoes get wet.

We finally got out for the break-in run! Great calm evening off Victoria and no one at the ramps :) As per the manual, the first hour at was varying speeds up to 2000rpm. The second hour was on plane but did not get near max rpm. At 4500rpm (as fast as I dared during the first hour of break in) we were cruising around 35knots with lots left in the throttle. The slightly bow down stance actually was nice, I wasn’t straining to see over the bow at slow speeds and was a non factor on plane. Some tweaks left such as rebalancing on the trailer, my Lowrance is now in dash and difficult to read as it’s on an angle, my kicker steering was installed incorrectly - I turn the wheel right and the boat goes left :( and a few other small tweaks but overall, better feel on the water due to the pod extension, way more power than the Volvo 5.7, way quieter and I love the dance floor. Oh ya, steering is heavier now that I don’t have power steering but the DEC (digital electronic controls) was awesome, silky smooth throttle with no klunk or grinding of gears when going from neutral to forward. As far as the overall cost, at the beginning of this thread, I estimated $55k which was pretty close - I came in around $50k. $12.5k for the pod and engine removal/ fibreglass work, $45k for the new yammy 300, rigging and install (including new hydraulic steering for kicker) and I got $7.5k for the slightly used Volvo 5.7 and leg. Timeline was waaay off, I thought a few months and it took almost 6months but one has to be patient with the trades these days

Attachments

• 0C388181-5DC7-4D1C-B895-4C0926ABDDE0.jpeg
    0C388181-5DC7-4D1C-B895-4C0926ABDDE0.jpeg
    486.3 KB · Views: 179
  • D6F39E2E-4F96-4244-88AC-410188B106FF.jpeg
    D6F39E2E-4F96-4244-88AC-410188B106FF.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
my kicker steering was installed incorrectly - I turn the wheel right and the boat goes left :(

Yeah it is a bit of a surprise when you get motorcycle counter steering in a boat.

In the early 70's my brother had ordered a Sanger Flatbottom, with a 455 Olds direct drive.

Boat goes in the water, gets paddled around until it points out parallel to the shoreline , he starts the boat. It runs fine and he punches it a bit up on plane and and then he turns the wheel out in a nice smooth arc to loop out into the lake and back to the dock.

Except the boat is turning into the shore. My brother has a WTF look on his face and turns the wheel more, the boat is now aiming straight at the shore, Finally the light goes on for my brother and he tightens the turn more (in the same (wrong) direction and the boat does a 180 and doesn't ground itself. Only problem he ever had with that boat.

Wow… so the installer corrected my kicker steering, however it made my main steering backwards (I turn the wheel right and the boat goes left). They didn’t check it so I discouvered this when I got home and had to take it back to the shop AGAIN! They just called me to let me know the main steering has been corrected but the rear helm is steering backwards again. I’m sooo frustrated! My kicker steering is on my transom and faces backwards so they are saying they cannot correct this issue without putting a check valve which I would have to switch every time I go from my main to kicker steering. Not good in an emergency! Is this true?? If I had known this, I would have stayed with separate steering for the kicker. It’s been 3.5 months just to install a new engine!!!

Wow… so the installer corrected my kicker steering, however it made my main steering backwards (I turn the wheel right and the boat goes left). They didn’t check it so I discouvered this when I got home and had to take it back to the shop AGAIN! They just called me to let me know the main steering has been corrected but the rear helm is steering backwards again. I’m sooo frustrated! My kicker steering is on my transom and faces backwards so they are saying they cannot correct this issue without putting a check valve which I would have to switch every time I go from my main to kicker steering. Not good in an emergency! Is this true?? If I had known this, I would have stayed with separate steering for the kicker. It’s been 3.5 months just to install a new engine!!!
Can't you just reverse the hoses to the kicker helm? Or reverse the hoses to the steering cylinder on the kicker?

I would say no to check valve and have them re-install the helm/steering cylinders correctly. Yikes that's crazy your having so many issues.

Why would you need separate steering for the kicker? just install a tie bar and be done with it! Having a large rudder in the water while trolling is nice
The kicker and main are connected with a tie bar, can lift up and down independently but I need a second steering station at the helm. It’s one hydraulic system for both steering stations. The installer keeps telling me it’s installed correctly but because my kicker steering wheel faces backwards, the steering will always be backwards. I’m blown away that they are trying to get me to accept it the way it is. Imaging fishing a tight group of boats, fighting a fish and trying to remember when I turn the kicker steering wheel to the right, the boat will go left!

Can't you just reverse the hoses to the kicker helm? Or reverse the hoses to the steering cylinder on the kicker?
They did - because the kicker steering wheel faces backwards, one wheel always will always turn the boat the apposite direction as the other wheel.

They did - because the kicker steering wheel faces backwards, one wheel always will always turn the boat the apposite direction as the other wheel.
Don't kill me. But that does actually seem intuitive if you're facing backwards. Turn the wheel in the direction you want to go. I saw this on a fishing show recently and it freaked me out. After watching the guy run it for a few minutes it seemed to make more sense. Sorry it's not what you want though.

Don't kill me. But that does actually seem intuitive if you're facing backwards. Turn the wheel in the direction you want to go. I saw this on a fishing show recently and it freaked me out. After watching the guy run it for a few minutes it seemed to make more sense. Sorry it's not what you want though.
I see that as a major accident waiting to happen. I never steer facing backwards and I’m sure no one fishing with me will remember the steering is backwards. This could cause an accident in tight waters… or am I wrong?

Last edited:
Back