pod length and Merc engine cowling height

Olde School

I am considering the purchase of a 2021/2022 Merc Fourstroke 200 3.4L V6, and having a new pod made for it.
My wish is to have the motor as close to the transom as possible (for best weight distribution), and know that a major parameter is how close the top of the cowling is to the transom when the motor is trimmed all the way up.

If you have a 2018 or newer Merc Fourstroke 200 3.4L V6, how long is the pod it's on, and what clearance do you have to the transom when the motor is trimmed all the way up?

Sorry about that, didn't go all the way down list.

Used a square and found my Yamaha F200 cowling is just under 20" forward from mounting plate when the F200 is trimmed up fully.

Hey Olde School, I just installed a 2019 200 Mercury onto an aluminum pod on my Double Eagle. The boat is moored at Pedder Bay and I wont be back at the boat until Thursday. It is slipped at E19 if you would like to measure it for your project. Its an 25 inch shaft and it tilts up fully with only inches to spare from the transom worked out perfect as the leg is completely out of the water.

Dan

I'm in Port Alberni, but appreciate the offer. Thinking I might have a wander around the marinas with a tape measure.

I am considering the purchase of a 2021/2022 Merc Fourstroke 200 3.4L V6, and having a new pod made for it.
My wish is to have the motor as close to the transom as possible (for best weight distribution), and know that a major parameter is how close the top of the cowling is to the transom when the motor is trimmed all the way up.

If you have a 2018 or newer Merc Fourstroke 200 3.4L V6, how long is the pod it's on, and what clearance do you have to the transom when the motor is trimmed all the way up?

Not sure if this will help at all but I found it in some of my boat build pictures from 3 years ago. It's just some notes the builder had written down on one of his templates. He had built several of these hulls but built the pods according to what power you were strapping on. In my case the G2's weren't in the running and I probably would of asked for the longer pod anyways. You might be able to convert his numbers and do a bit of geometry to figure out the rest...lol I went with Yamaha 150's and they tilt up about 2" from the stern and with a decent load of full and gear the legs clear the water by at least 6". However I do know each boat will be different based on hull size...pod size and weight distribution etc. It makes a huge difference having one done right. A properly podded boat makes for a major performance and ride upgrade. If it's done improperly it will be worse or neutral and you will wonder why you spent the money...lol I see a lot of custom boats and pods with the legs in the water and honestly have to wonder why? I think in a lot of cases it's a one size fits all sort of build so I recommend taking the time and getting it right. That includes a few buoyancy calculations for pod volume. Good luck.....and of course post some pictures.....lol

Attachments

• Pic11.jpg
    Pic11.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 32
Don't forget the 12 deg. transom angle. It has to be taken into consideration when measuring distance.

Also yes you may want it as tight as you can to the transom but take into account you may have to raise the engine a inch or so which can effect that, so many a time i see guys build a pod and dont take that in. and then you cant lift the whole leg out of water as the engine cowl will hit the boat trust me a few more inchs isnt gonna make that much difference in weight distribution. (your GF yes but not the boat) LOL
I think mine is 34 inchs as I wanted to be on the safe side. And i have about 1 1/2 inchs to spare with out hitting the boat. and we had to raise the engine about a inch .
Also re pod the guy who built mine came up a bit from bottom of the keel just a touch cause as he said it brings you cleaner water its not much only about a 1/2 inch and i have ZERO cavitation and tons of trim in and out. you do not want a Step up pod as you need to go way faster to keep the bow down. these were all the things ive learnt buy what I consider the "wizard" on pods as he has done ALOT...
Good luck and show us the pod...

Wolf

Also yes you may want it as tight as you can to the transom but take into account you may have to raise the engine a inch or so which can effect that, so many a time i see guys build a pod and dont take that in. and then you cant lift the whole leg out of water as the engine cowl will hit the boat trust me a few more inchs isnt gonna make that much difference in weight distribution. (your GF yes but not the boat) LOL
I think mine is 34 inchs as I wanted to be on the safe side. And i have about 1 1/2 inchs to spare with out hitting the boat. and we had to raise the engine about a inch .
Also re pod the guy who built mine came up a bit from bottom of the keel just a touch cause as he said it brings you cleaner water its not much only about a 1/2 inch and i have ZERO cavitation and tons of trim in and out. you do not want a Step up pod as you need to go way faster to keep the bow down. these were all the things ive learnt buy what I consider the "wizard" on pods as he has done ALOT...
Good luck and show us the pod...

Wolf

Wolf did you go with a 30" shaft or 25? Cheers

Went with the 30 as it makes the engine sit better out of water .also my pod deck is about 8 inchs from the water line way better.

1627302507441.png

Back