Plug Poll - To Pull the Pin or Not?

Highliner

What is your preference, to pull the pin on your plugs or to use the tow-bar? Has anyone ruined any plugs by pulling the pin?

Yeah I had a pin that didnt want to come out and wrecked and brand new 6" tubby. I followed the direction on how to pull it to a tee, but it just didn't want to come out.

I've pulled the pins on all my Tomic plugs without any problems. Haven't tried doing it on any other brands.

The only time I have ever pulled the pins on a plug is when it caught so many fish that I decided I didn't want to lose it. It's still a framed trophy in my home. It's called Jerry Lee, ( The Killer) I've often thought about taking it off the wall and rigging it as the plugs I've fished since have not been as productive. I can understand pulling for specialty fisheries like the Tyee pool etc. but also with the seals ripping off salmon as soon as you hook em, I agree you should pull if you don't want to lose them. I prefer to run them as they are, with modifacations of course ;) eman

If it has the welded speed ring then I leave and tie to it.if no ring then I pull it. I have tried the "keep the knot high and upright thing but prefer the action with it pulled or the ring. Possibly getting the plug back if the line breaks is second to getting the right action in my opinion.

Thanks guys. I bit the bullet and pulled some pins. Hopefully my new plugs don't leak!

hey Doggy...not trying to stir up the pot....I know Tomic has lots of killer colors that work awesome on certain areas...
I fish ECVI mostly....and the J-plug outfished Tomics for me last year...

The Mongoose ( green/chrome/yellow) J-plug 4 inch was a killer...

Also the Black/Chrome/ Metallic purple in 5 inch........(this one was sprayed and "doctored')..

Run fifty feet back...no flasher.

I've got a basement full of Tomics.....pins and no pins.

Tomics good in many situations.....

For slow speeds I'd pull the pin.....given druthers....if I wasn't getting fish with a normal plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make sure when pulling the pin, that the ends coming through the plug are smooth enough that they won't scratch the inside of the plug when coming through and you'll be fine. Ive ruined a couple, but I've retrieved many more after breaking off fish.

I guess if the plug breaks off you still have to find it. I'd imagine with a bit of swell or chop that's a lot easier said than done.

Cut the pins with wire snips or cutters.
After that take a small file and and round off the ends of the pins so that when you pull them out they won't scratch the inside of the hole.

Pulling the pins weakens the plug when it's deep. Many a guy has found his plug full of water when he pulled it up.

Tomic does not warranty plugs with a pulled pin.

Pulling the pins does not guarantee better fish catching rate.

Time of year,size of plug, color of plug, trolling speed, and knot are all factors. Also whether Chinooks are feeders or "estuary returners".

We never used to pull pins in the Alberni Inlet in late August /early September.
The fish liked a big plug (#158) with a slow waggle.

X2 on clipping and filling. I've used silicon or epoxy to seal it all up.
I'd like to see a way to add a little more weight to the nose.

Back