Pink Shirt Day April 4

GLG

Pink Shirt Day Feb 29

Hey Bully times up

So It's pink shirt day next week and I thought it might be a good idea to read about the topic.
First here are some links
http://www.pinkshirtday.ca/

If you want to read the Executive Notes on the subject read this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullying

CBC link affects on community
http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunit...on-to-half-of-canadians-bullied-as-youth.html

When I head about pink week I first thought about the 5 teen suicides here in the comox valley over the last two years. Breaks your heart to hear of such things. A little more research said that there were not linked to bullying but the rumors around town were flying. I must confess I thought they were true.

Guy's if you have young ones at home learn what to look for and how to react.
Older Guys learn so you can give solid advice.

From the info on wiki I was not surprised that bullying continues after school years into work and social circles.

GLG

Last edited by a moderator:
Pink shirts are for.......well......Pippens....lol......it's pippen day lol.....all kidding aside....yes wearing a pink shirt on that day is for anti-bullying, once a bully always a bully and nobody needs them(well except for dealing with dfo/govt).....good on ya GLG for posting this, everyone should be aware of it....my own personal thought are this...there has always been bullying, but somewhere along the lines here since i was a kid, the kids have gotten more and more sensitive, and i dont just mean with their peers, i mean all around, when i was a kid and i got yelled at at a job, or, home, or skool etc, i listened and had respect for the person yelling at me, sure i didnt like it but i learned from it and it MOTIVATED me to not screw up or make the same mistake again(or if i did atleast i knew how to cover it up,lol, jk), but nowadays kids and young ppl in general dont respond to the fear factor as motivation, they just shut down and are very difficult to motivate after theyve been scholded, i dont really get it but it it was it is, they have to be cauldled and treated with kid gloves, even kids into their early 20's, ive worked with a lot of youth over the years and ive seen the progression of what im saying, so anyway, its the same thing when it comes to bullying, and social atmospheres with the youth, when a kid gets bullyed by their peers in front of their peers or even just some good ole ribbin, i find the majority of them a very over sensitive, and will really take it to heart and obviously weve seen in recent years how they deal with it, the wrong way, maybe i dont remember what its like to be young as much as i think i do, but we were all bullyed or bugged when we were kids, but those were the things that made us stronger and built character, im not saying there werent things that were overboard, but i really dont remember kids being so sensitive, and i certainly never knew anyone that killed them selves at such a young age, i dont know what the answer is cause society and the way youth are nowadays is what we have and it is what it is but i just think that the youth of today need to learn how to stand up for themselves a little more and toughen up a bit, im not trying to slag on the bullyed here or do the blame the victim thing, its just kind of a general observation is all....anyway this pink shirt campaign started a few years ago with one courageous kid and has grown to an annual national movement so kudos to that one kid who started it all, we deffinately need more of him in this world, im sure i can find something pink to wear on april 4th in spirit of the day.....holmes*

agreed. I employ 25 students between the ages of 14-and 20 and have for the last 10 years. And i love them to death and wouldnt have it anyother way. Over those 10 years i have seen alot change and unforunately your management style has to change with it.

Lorne

Long ago, and with a very different mind set, I would don a pink tee shirt and wear it into a few of the Cowboy Bars in Calgary!
Slowly trolling, just above the bottom hoping against hope that some bully would bite! A couple of good hooks, some jabs and finally a release (for me anyways)!
I FRICKIN HATE BULLIES!

In school, way back when, I use to get the strap every other week.
I stood up to the bully every time and paid the price.
Back then it didn't matter who started it, you both got it.
I won some and lost some fight's but I didn't back down.
Even had to take a hockey stick to one kid that bugged me.
It only lasted for a year till they learned not to mess with me.
I don't think that is acceptable in school anymore so we need new ways of dealing with bullys.
We have a problem here in the Comox Valley that perhaps parental education might fix.
Truth is bullying does not affect my family but I sure feel for the families here that it does.

http://www.waltersdefensefund.ca/sc...c-fail-grade-for-failure-to-address-bullying/

GLG

Bullying is a strong word and needs to be used carefully. In my experience we have way fewer true bullies out there than say 20-30 years ago and that is real progress. Unfortunately, bullies, both boys and girls, still exist and most of them have either been victims of bullying themselves or have issues related to lack of self esteem, confidence, or in some instances, living in a home with parents who are bullies or parents who are in denial that their child has bullied and they have not dealt with it.

Good to see guys keep this day on the front burner!

Pink happens to be a very useful color gentlemen. Pink shirts can be worn with blue, black, grey and brown suits. I happen to have been a pioneer in this color and started wearing them back in 85. Now.... before you jump to conclusions, I assure you I don't lean left, although there wouldn't be a problem if I was, right. Thanks for the reminder. I'll have my pink on next week. Hey, how about our pink burgee, wheres that at????

well one of my solutions is to get more kids and youth into fishing, which i believe will help with more than just bullying, it will help youth at risk, underpriviledged youth, youth of single parents, disabled youth and just youth in general, it will instill respect, discipline, polite manners, sel worth,confidence, patience, ettiquette, education, responsibility, will power, determination, equality, passion, concentration, sportsmanship through competition, along with all the other skills and other positive traits and attributes that a fisherman/woman are supposed to exude....not to mention IT"S FUN, one thing that i believe is that we are all equal while out fishing, not a care in the world, leave all of lifes little hassles behind, when i worked out at critter cove i observed something very valuable, majority of our customers were repeat customers year after year, and they stay in the same room, have the same neighbours every year, so these ppl would see each other every year at the same time every season, well friendships get formed, and it didnt matter if one guy was a lawyer, and another guy was an executive, another guy is a janitor, one guy pumps gas, one guy works 3 jobs, or the next guy was a millionaire, they all come from different economic, ethnic, geographic etc. backgrounds, one guy has a 30 fter one has a 24 fter, one guy has an 18fter another guy has a 14 ft lund, some can just drop the cash for their stay rite then and there and some have scrimp and save all year for their trip, they make plans to hang out and cook dinners together, fish the same areas, go for rib nite together(of course,lol), tell stories, and just generally enjoy each others company, ALL walks of life, just great comraderie, all of lifes issues and problems and concerns GONE, they were all equals, they were there for one reason and one reason only, TO FISH and be on the water and enjoy each others company, that's what it's all about folks, that's what fishing can do, that's how powerful of a tool our hobby can be and is, it can take your worst day or period of life and make you forget all about it, it is one of the most therapeutic hobbies there is IMO, so my point is, it can also do that for our youth and younger generation in general, fishing has so many applications in relation to life that its really unbelievable, if we can get more of our younger ppl into fishing i think it helps solve a whole host of everyday societal problems, not to mention that there is strength in numbers, there more ppl we have into fishing the better it's going to be for us in order to enact change in regards to all the political BS that we all are fighting for on a daily basis, im looking at the future folks, we CAN NOT lose our rites to our passion cause if we do, well i fear that society as a whole will be negetively affected, the key is the youth, we need them and they dont realize it but they can benefit in a big way from all of us, and in the end society as a whole will be a lot better off, getting more youth involved in fishing is a key part of solutions for many things......anyway sorry for the long winded post but it something that ive been thinking about for quite a few years now and ive mentioned it to some members of this board and a few other ppl and i think it could be of benefit for everyone so feel free to provide your thoughts, id appreciate it, heck the kids if today can even teach all you old crustys a few things im sure, geez there are still grown adults out there that bully pll out on the flow, lake or chuck......holmes*

Some paragraph's dude !!!! ha ha. Just harder to read without them man. I'm not bullying you either for the record lol.

I totally agree with the fishing thing. I'm a member on alot of forums and everytime I post some photos of my son or his buddies, everyone say's "keep them fishing". It's good for your soul. It's good for society:cool:.

well one of my solutions is to get more kids and youth into fishing, which i believe will help with more than just bullying, it will help youth at risk, underpriviledged youth, youth of single parents, disabled youth and just youth in general, it will instill respect, discipline, polite manners, sel worth,confidence, patience, ettiquette, education, responsibility, will power, determination, equality, passion, concentration, sportsmanship through competition, along with all the other skills and other positive traits and attributes that a fisherman/woman are supposed to exude....not to mention IT"S FUN, one thing that i believe is that we are all equal while out fishing, not a care in the world, leave all of lifes little hassles behind, when i worked out at critter cove i observed something very valuable, majority of our customers were repeat customers year after year, and they stay in the same room, have the same neighbours every year, so these ppl would see each other every year at the same time every season, well friendships get formed, and it didnt matter if one guy was a lawyer, and another guy was an executive, another guy is a janitor, one guy pumps gas, one guy works 3 jobs, or the next guy was a millionaire, they all come from different economic, ethnic, geographic etc. backgrounds, one guy has a 30 fter one has a 24 fter, one guy has an 18fter another guy has a 14 ft lund, some can just drop the cash for their stay rite then and there and some have scrimp and save all year for their trip, they make plans to hang out and cook dinners together, fish the same areas, go for rib nite together(of course,lol), tell stories, and just generally enjoy each others company, ALL walks of life, just great comraderie, all of lifes issues and problems and concerns GONE, they were all equals, they were there for one reason and one reason only, TO FISH and be on the water and enjoy each others company, that's what it's all about folks, that's what fishing can do, that's how powerful of a tool our hobby can be and is, it can take your worst day or period of life and make you forget all about it, it is one of the most therapeutic hobbies there is IMO, so my point is, it can also do that for our youth and younger generation in general, fishing has so many applications in relation to life that its really unbelievable, if we can get more of our younger ppl into fishing i think it helps solve a whole host of everyday societal problems, not to mention that there is strength in numbers, there more ppl we have into fishing the better it's going to be for us in order to enact change in regards to all the political BS that we all are fighting for on a daily basis, im looking at the future folks, we CAN NOT lose our rites to our passion cause if we do, well i fear that society as a whole will be negetively affected, the key is the youth, we need them and they dont realize it but they can benefit in a big way from all of us, and in the end society as a whole will be a lot better off, getting more youth involved in fishing is a key part of solutions for many things......anyway sorry for the long winded post but it something that ive been thinking about for quite a few years now and ive mentioned it to some members of this board and a few other ppl and i think it could be of benefit for everyone so feel free to provide your thoughts, id appreciate it, heck the kids if today can even teach all you old crustys a few things im sure, geez there are still grown adults out there that bully pll out on the flow, lake or chuck......holmes*

7797c0ab_unable-to-process-wall-of-text.jpeg

good thread glg--but what's with April 4th if pink shirt day is next week. As an elementary principal,every year I do a maturation/puberty talk with 9 and 10 year old boys at my school and it is always interesting to see where their
questions will lead to. Over the past several years some of the best discussions we've had are about being gay. I
have them write any questions that they may have about anything to do with sex on a piece of paper that they hand
in to me (it cuts down on the goofy questions that are asked to get a laugh--remember grade 7?). A few years ago I got one paper that asked "What is a hermaphrodite" I just about choked and then had to decide whether it was a legit question or a just-for-a-laugh one. I decided to go ahead and read it out and talk about it.
I described what it was and how doctors used to arbitrarily choose one sex for the child and operate to get rid of
the other sex organ. My question to these boys then was "What if the doctors chose to keep the wrong sex organ?"
There was an aghast silence. "That would be awful" one whispered. What followed for these kids was a great
discussion about being gay and I would be willing to bet these little guys(many of whom were macho lttle dudes on
my rugby team) will not be bullying any of the gay kids in their high school.
T2
PS--I've got my pink shirt ready for Wednesday.

[/QUOTE]"What is a hermaphrodite" [/QUOTE]

Perhaps that kid has read To Kill a Mockingbird, T2. Effeminate snowman scene. I get that question every year.

I'm sorry for my mistake with the date, it should read Feb 29 as others have pointed out.
Thanks guy's for pointing it out. I'll try to fix.

It's an important subject as we see it around us at all levels.
It's getting way out of hand if you ask me.
Look at endbridge 's push to get it's pipeline built.... bully tactics.
Look at Syria and shelling of it's people.... bully in power.
Fishfarmers and there lawsuit to stop the protesters..... bully using the courts.
Even people on here for crying out loud.... bully using post to force there will.

Agree with others that the tide will change if we teach our youth.
Till then what can we do? Speak out and back others that speak out.

GLG

Back