Pig Roast Pig / Roaster sought mid-island

Adler

Maybe a long shot, but given the interest and knowledge here in smoking/local harvest etc, worth a shot. We are planning a 50th anniversary party in Bowser for August long weekend. My primary contribution is to figure out a main protein, and a pig roast has been suggested. So.... Looking for a lead on someone who may have a full pig available for roast from a local farm. And if there is someone in that area who will roast a pig the day of the event with a grill/spit or whatever, would love to hear from them or be pointed in their direction. Thanks!

I know where you can get a pig more then likely for your needs . pm me and ill send you there number

Berryman Brothers meat in Victoria will supply and roast a pig. Don’t know how far they travel but might be worth a call

Berryman Brothers meat in Victoria will supply and roast a pig. Don’t know how far they travel but might be worth a call

Thanks Abl, I do see that on their website, they will also rent out the equipment. Will consider for sure.

The company is called Fat Moose in Courtenay. Above is their Facebook page. Have fun!
T2
Second the recommendation for Fat Moose. Site says they are closed until May, https://www.facebook.com/Fat-Moose-Smokehouse-and-Wild-Game-Custom-Cutters-945337062201167/ but worth looking at. They did a whole pig for a neighborhood BBQ -- supplied everything. Great outfit.

Gunter’s Meats North of Courteney can provide and roast a pig for you. I had one of theirs about three years ago and it was very nicely done…… :)

You can rent the equipment from Gala Van and also pedersons I think. We have done 2 pig roasts in our back yard. Fun all day event.
Fun if you find that kind of thing fun. I love it, but it takes dedication. You can order them done and dusted on a platter for you for pretty reasonable prices. The butchering part always seems to be forgotten about and is a lot of work. I somehow get roped into doing it often.

I also found the lamb was a bigger crowd pleaser as well. Unless you nail a pig and get crispy skin, it can sometimes be lackluster in the end. Lots of good green sauces really helps. Chimichurri, salsas, hot sauce etc. Doing it as tacos is my personal favorite for parties

Just curious what does that run? Like hiring a guy with the equipment and the pig and wood etc?
Dont know what it cost.. But Fat Moose guys showed up in the morning with a mobile BBQ/smoker and the pig. Fired it up and got a nice bed of coals going. Grilled the pig on a rotisserary (sp) for about 5-6 hours. It was AWESOME! The new family that paid for the meal also imported a pub band from Nanaimo for entertainment. What a classy way to introduce their family to the hood !

Well thought I should provide an update. It was not meant to be...my uncle passed away a month ago, just shy of the 50th. Celebration of Life this weekend instead of Anniversary party. Thanks for the updates...say if anyone lives in Qualicum, I am looking for a safe driveway for truck with bikes and a dog caretaker while we are at the funeral. Pig Roast will have to happen some other time. Cheers, thanks for all the ideas.

Back