Pender island boat purchase advise

Fishtank

My friend who is completely new to boating wants to purchase a boat on pender island, the friend is from Victoria.The boat is a 1981 17.5 double eagle with a 2008 115hp yamaha with 300hrs for 15k. Took it for a sea trail in the summer and the seller didnt actually want to sell it then but apparently is ready now. I told him he needs to get the motor checked out and also get the boat checked out for transom/foor/stringer rot. Could anybody recommend anywhere he could take it on pender to get it checked out? Or any other things he should look for on a boat of this vintage? Again, this friend is completely new to boats! Thoughts on how I should guide my buddy and what you would do in this situation? Thanks!

Looking to see if there is any interest in my 1980 Double eagle hardtop 17.5ft. 115 Yamaha four stroke with about 350hrs. Comes with trailer old depth sounder. Looking for offers close to 15K as it is in mint condition. Full back canvas and drop curtain canvas as well.

This is from the original add ill see if I can get more picture

My friend who is completely new to boating wants to purchase a boat on pender island, the friend is from Victoria.The boat is a 1981 17.5 double eagle with a 2008 115hp yamaha with 300hrs for 15k. Took it for a sea trail in the summer and the seller didnt actually want to sell it then but apparently is ready now. I told him he needs to get the motor checked out and also get the boat checked out for transom/foor/stringer rot. Could anybody recommend anywhere he could take it on pender to get it checked out? Or any other things he should look for on a boat of this vintage? Again, this friend is completely new to boats! Thoughts on how I should guide my buddy and what you would do in this situation? Thanks!
Tough spot. I'd call Poet's and otter bay marina and see who services boats for them. With the amount of boats that stop by those docks there should be some marine service available and those docks should know. Some Government docks sometimes have boards where companies post cards or pay to put their business name up. Often somewhere guys will post their services...
Without experience finding rot I wouldn't send a buddy off to buy a boat without a survey/ well boat literate person by his side. Could spend another 15k on a gut job in no time on that 40 year old boat.

Looking to see if there is any interest in my 1980 Double eagle hardtop 17.5ft. 115 Yamaha four stroke with about 350hrs. Comes with trailer old depth sounder. Looking for offers close to 15K as it is in mint condition. Full back canvas and drop curtain canvas as well.

This is from the original add ill see if I can get more picture
Hey Fishtank, didn't realize it was your boat on pender your buddy is buying. Or do you just have the same boat a year older? sent that before I saw your second post pop up. Bit of a different deal when between friends. Sometimes worse, sometimes better, haha!

Hey Fishtank, didn't realize it was your boat on pender your buddy is buying. Or do you just have the same boat a year older? sent that before I saw your second post pop up. Bit of a different deal when between friends. Sometimes worse, sometimes better, haha!
No no, not my boat, my friend is looking to buy that boat, I posted the old ad

tough spot to get to. in the summer i could probably do it for gas money since i zip past there once in a while. if he can bring it to white rock i can do it.

i’m assuming it’s someone’s commuter boat to pender? prolly lives in a marina slip while there?

Only comparable thing for sale is this and it does look significantly better with no bottom paint indication of mooring but is a lot more expensive and maybe sold? https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml/boa/d/port-coquitlam-south-campion-542/7395018559.html

Has he asked if the stingers or transom was ever worked on replaced?

I would try grabbing the leg of the engine lifting it up and down to see if there is significant flex in the transom. Then toe press the whole floor to see if there are soft spots.

If he really wants a boat and the above doesn’t scare him off or assure him the work has been done, then it may be worth hauling it over on the ferry to Blackline. Maybe before he does that get an agreement on price in place minus any estimated work to be done? With blackline they do good work but it adds up quickly so it maybe worth it to get a good deal and then do the work himself.

Get some pictures of the batteries/electrical. That to me is a big indication of one of the expensive systems that can go wrong.

Definitely let him know he could spend 15k on the hull and 15k on the motor and still have a 10k boat in 12 months time.

Price is a little high due to it being moobut it’s supply and demand. I think at 12k it would a lot closer to a fair deal. But if trailer is in good shape, stingers and transom are solid then 15k for a hardtop with a nice cockpit cover might not be the worst deal with a 300 hour engine.

also based on my friend owning a similar boat for 10 months, who is he, who is he taking out and how often? My friend got two foot new footitus and spent another 60k because he wanted something new and reliable.

if your friend drives a 95 regular cab pickup this would be a good boat to go with it, if you get what I’m putting down

Only comparable thing for sale is this and it does look significantly better with no bottom paint indication of mooring but is a lot more expensive and maybe sold? https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml/boa/d/port-coquitlam-south-campion-542/7395018559.html

Has he asked if the stingers or transom was ever worked on replaced?

I would try grabbing the leg of the engine lifting it up and down to see if there is significant flex in the transom. Then toe press the whole floor to see if there are soft spots.

If he really wants a boat and the above doesn’t scare him off or assure him the work has been done, then it may be worth hauling it over on the ferry to Blackline. Maybe before he does that get an agreement on price in place minus any estimated work to be done? With blackline they do good work but it adds up quickly so it maybe worth it to get a good deal and then do the work himself.

Get some pictures of the batteries/electrical. That to me is a big indication of one of the expensive systems that can go wrong.

Definitely let him know he could spend 15k on the hull and 15k on the motor and still have a 10k boat in 12 months time.

Price is a little high due to it being moobut it’s supply and demand. I think at 12k it would a lot closer to a fair deal. But if trailer is in good shape, stingers and transom are solid then 15k for a hardtop with a nice cockpit cover might not be the worst deal with a 300 hour engine.

also based on my friend owning a similar boat for 10 months, who is he, who is he taking out and how often? My friend got two foot new footitus and spent another 60k because he wanted something new and reliable.

if your friend drives a 95 regular cab pickup this would be a good boat to go with it, if you get what I’m putting down
There’s more than one red flag on this boat… (that transom plate scares me)

Back