Peetz Stainless Steel Reels

fishhawk8

Hi all,

I noticed an ad in the latest version of Island Angler for Peetz Stainless Steel Reels. I haven't heard of these or even seen one yet, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried them and what's your opinion of them, pro or con. The Peetz site doesn't seem to have any product info, ie. reel weight, drag system etc., so I don't really know what I'm looking at, at this point.

I would assume that the quality would be similar to the old mohogany reels, which seem to last forever with a bit of care and regular maintenance. Suggested retail price is $129.00 which seems like a good deal for a SS reel, if you compare price to Islander, Longstone or TFO. Of course, most times price does not necessarily equate to quality.

As my B-day was last week and I was lucky enough to purchase a new Fenwick HMX 10'6" rod to run off my downriggers. I'm now in the process of looking for a compatible reel. Whoo-hoo!!!! (Thanks to all by the way, as that decision was made by the info provided through this site[8D])

And yes, I would like an Islander, but with a few house renos and Xmas coming up, funds are a bit tight at the moment. There's no hurry to buy a reel either as I can run one of my Shimano reels off of it for the time being.

Anyways, thanks for any opinions you might be able to share.

George

Seafood, eat it, then catch more.

Nothing like an Islander really just the wooden one in steel reasonably well made I'd use some fast grease on the bushings for sure.

On the heavy side of course fully manual but I wish I'd bought a few when I worked selling tackle if not just for the clicker alone they are loud but not offensive, real singers and worlds above the whining one way drags most reels have now.

I remember when I tried to buy them direct from Peetz it took months and months some problem about parts, Peetz isn't a very well run company.

kidphotors6.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

Nothing like an Islander really just the wooden one in steel reasonably well made I'd use some fast grease on the bushings for sure.

On the heavy side of course fully manual but I wish I'd bought a few when I worked selling tackle if not just for the clicker alone they are loud but not offensive, real singers and worlds above the whining one way drags most reels have now.

I remember when I tried to buy them direct from Peetz it took months and months some problem about parts, Peetz isn't a very well run company.

kidphotors6.jpg
Peetz reels have been made for 83 years. Not bad for a poorly run company. :D

I think you may have problems with a stainless reel in saltwater
with rusting...
i know stainless isn't supposed to rust, but it does [V]

The Islander's, TFO's Trophy's are all machined from aluminum
bar stock and there is no rust problems.

quote:Originally posted by tidehunter
Peetz reels have been made for 83 years. Not bad for a poorly run company.
Longevity is not necessarily a marker of quality.

The 'clock in a reel' product rescued the company for a time but as someone who's bought all kinds of product from them I wouldn't be surprised to see them tank anytime.

The rods that were once so prominently displayed on the site were never available ditto the sinkers and spoons, the harpoons were as rare as popeshit.

They're like many older uncapitalised companies desperate for modern management expertise and rationalised manufacturing, it's a shame since the market is there for quality Canadian made goods.

kidphotors6.jpg

Yes,I agree. A company which starts out well and through mismanagemnt and no real,pardon the pun,upgrading technological changes slowly falls by the wayside,it is truely a shame. I'm not old enough to remember/use a Peetz rod but they looked bulky and awkward. I'm I correct?

quote:Originally posted by tidehunter

... I'm not old enough to remember/use a Peetz rod but they looked bulky and awkward. I'm I correct?

Yes they did but the retro look sells.

I could have flogged them to people who wanted 'glass boat rods made in BC' for their shiny yachts or sailboats.;)

kidphotors6.jpg

What the hell are you going on about? They produce and sell a limited amount of product to limited amount of clientele. A lot of us are fishing their lead & dropping their lead anchors + they manufacture steel and aluminum. Some people like to keep it small....and local!

quote:Originally posted by silverquest
What the hell are you going on about?
Poor service to the industry-re read my post.

It's all fine and good to try and keep things small 'n local but under crushing pressure from offshore manufacturers locals have to manage smarter.

kidphotors6.jpg

Back