Pedder bay

JamesF

what is fishing really like there? and when is the best time to go. would like to go for hailbut and spring salmon.
thanks
James

what is fishing really like there? and when is the best time to go. would like to go for hailbut and spring salmon.
thanks
James

There's lots around for halibut out front and towards Race Rocks. For salmon, I'd say run around to Whirl Bay and troll there. If the wind is up, you can even go right out front of the bay. There's some decent fish around at the moment.

How is it end of July beginning of August?
I fished there for a couple years and it is usually pretty good that time of year. You can fish right in Pedder bay or run around the corner and head towards Sooke. The fishing is decent all along there. Halibut fishing is good too but you will have to time that for when the current isn't too bad.

I fished there for a couple years and it is usually pretty good that time of year. You can fish right in Pedder bay or run around the corner and head towards Sooke. The fishing is decent all along there. Halibut fishing is good too but you will have to time that for when the current isn't too bad.

Any good size springs?

Any good size springs?
I fished that area for a couple years but that was 2 years ago now. At the time I did fairly decent and managed to get a fish over 30 each year I was there. I am not sure how the fishing is there currently. They have since implemented a slot limit for that area so look into that. Its a nice place and there are lots of spots to fish along there. Its worth checking out.

July-August should be good(fingers crossed).Pedder has a very nice campsite,book early.Most of the bigger fish we get are from American hatcheries,hopefully slot limit will be off by the time your there.So the springs are heading south and Pedder seems to be as far east as they run,always exceptions,but most fishermen will head west to find more fish.It's not a long run to Beacher bay in a decent boat if the weather allows.

I'm booked at Pedder bay for the first two weeks of July. 1st time there for me as well. Earlier then I would have liked, but thats what works for this year. Spent the last three seasons fishing from Alder bay, but it was time for a more family friendly campground (3 kids 5 and under).
Excited to experience the Hali fishery as the last two years up north have been tough for the group of boats I was with.

I'm booked at Pedder bay for the first two weeks of July. 1st time there for me as well. Earlier then I would have liked, but thats what works for this year. Spent the last three seasons fishing from Alder bay, but it was time for a more family friendly campground (3 kids 5 and under).
Excited to experience the Hali fishery as the last two years up north have been tough for the group of boats I was with.
Nice thing about Pedder if your kids are young is the lake is only 2 minute drive away across the road for them to swim in.
T2

Reactions: NDT
Salmon fishing Pedder Bay and the surrounding area in July/August are usually pretty good, last year was a bit slow though. I have caught a lot of fish (springs) in the bay which is very protected and perfect when you have kids with you in the mid to high teens. Halibut is not far away and other salmon spots are close too. It is a bit of a run on the water to the Sooke fishing grounds but still not a big deal IMO and as T2 has noted it is great to have the lake so close as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info.

Fishing was spotty for me last season out of alder bay. Made some long runs last year chasing the bite. Sooke areas don't appear to far looking at the map, weather permitting.

Looking forward to fishing with the kids, may look for some greenling spots to let them cast and jig a bit in the sheltered bay to take a break from trolling.

I will definitely find the swimming hole across the road! Thanks t2

It's pink year so your kids should have no problem catching fish too. Usually by mid July they are thick and my boys loved jigging them with a pink buzz bomb from the boat. Just head in front of Church Rock and the zig zag out towards the middle of the strait until you find a thick school. Usually at the end of a good flood they are right in shore.

As for hali spots, there are promising pinnacles just out of the bay as well as right in front if William Head in 150' plus water you can get them.

You picked a great spot!

Only thinking of pedder because I don't have a boat and need to rent one and guides are too much. Splitting gas on a small rental isn't bad or even a bigger boat for that

Pedder is great if you have kids, I moor there annually and take my 5&8 year old out. The docks are well maintained clean and secure.
Fishing in the sheltered bay is good on rough days but it's abit of a rip if you want to go around to sooke.

Back