Panther T-4 Steering

Mi Chica

While I have loved the ease of use of this auxiliary steering unit, it has had it's issues. They came to a head last Saturday when the unit failed an hour into the day's fishing. When I removed and opened up the unit I found the better part of a cup of water inside this supposedly sealed unit. Salt water plus electonics equal corrosion and failure. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the sealant used was not uniformly applied, and that water had entered through the control shaft opening. At the price of these units, the quality/longevity is lacking. The other issue is with the wireless remote unit. The screw that is supposed to hold the unit snugly together is bedded into a piece of plastic. After a couple of battery changes, you can not properly tighten this down, and have to tape the unit together. Despite being past the warranty, I decided that I would pursue the issue.
I arranged a meeting with the rep for the Distributor and told him, in detail, the problems. He immediately arranged for a new replacement to be shipped on a warranty basis. He also indicated that this was definitely not the first unit to have these problems, and that he was quite unhappy with the manufacturers denials that there was a problem. He provided me with the name and number of the individual who heads up Panther's tech support (Dale Hagen 1-800-634-7838) and the company president (larry Grundtner 1-651-203-2172) and suggested that I talk to both of them. I have left messages with both individuals and am awaiting a reply. I will provide an update when I have had my chats with them.
An interesting sidenote is that the new units apparently are being shipped with a seal kit to prevent the problems I (and others?) have had. If anyone else has these units and is having problems, feel free to contact me and I will share info on who to talk to on the Island.

Too much water, too little time

Update
Spoke this morning to their head tech rep. He stated that the new motor units have a rubberised coating to protect them from moisture. He said that the units do not need to be watertight and there is a drain hole (old units do not have them, I looked) to prevent water build-up. He also said that if anyone has an older unit that fails, they will replace the old motor with a new n/c one even if warranty has expired. I took this as a tacit admission that they know and acknowledge that this has been an issue. I think that I would go through Western Marine's rep and ensure that he is aware of this conversation, if I were to send a unit back.
I suspect, being the skeptic that I am, that I will seal the new unit better than they did, to minimise the amount of water getting inside.

Interesting topic. I just finished setting up a 9.9 HT kicker on my boat and one of the issues was how to steer it. I ended up going with the ez steer system, mainly due to cost issues. $350.00 compared to approx $700 for that panther system. There is that Goetz system (I think that is what it is called) which is a electric/hydraulic system which is very pricey as well. I know the ez steer system has issues with it that can be a pain in the butt at times but at least it is very simple. My marine mechanic buddy said EMPHATICALLY, "stay away from any electric motor system" for exactly the reasons you are talking about MI Chica plus power draw those electric motors need.
It would be interesting to hear other people's opinions and set ups they have for steering there kickers

With the upgrades (their's and mine)the reliabilty of the system should be very good. The power draw, by the way is negligible and has never been an issue with this unit. The convenience has been great, especially when single handing and playing a fish.

Mi Chica,
Thanks for this post I purchased this same unit last year and have already sent it away twice for warranty. I will have to check and see if the new upgrades were done or not. Thanks again

Check and see id there is a drain hole on it, as they claim the new units have one. There should also be an o-ring supplied to keep water out of the case. I am still going to sika flex around the case and where the power cable comes out, but I am now both cautious and a little cynical. I want to ensure that I have no more issues with this unit. They should be long lived with these mods.

Back