Painting Bottom

From http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

APPLICATION AND USE
Preparation BARE ALUMINUM: Apply one very thin coat of Viny-Lux Primewash 353/354. Prime with Interprotect 2000E/2001E. On sandblasted aluminum the Viny-Lux Primewash 353/354 can be omitted if priming with Interprotect the same day as blasting. Be sure to apply an extra coat of primer around rivets and weld areas.
FACTORY FINISHED ALUMINUM: Prime with Primocon.
BARE FIBERGLASS: Begin by scrubbing well using soap and water and a stiff brush. Rinse with fresh water. Wipe a small area with a clean rag that has been wetted with Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202. While the surface is still wet, wipe with a clean, dry rag. Continue this process until the entire surface has been cleaned. Sand with 80 grade (grit) paper. Remove sanding residue. Wipe with Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202.
BARE WOOD: Sand with 80 grade (grit) paper. Clean with Special Thinner 216. Apply first coat reduced 10% with Special Thinner 216. Fill seams, if necessary, with Seam Compound Brown 30.
EPOXY COATED WOOD: Prime with Interprotect 2000E/2001E.
PREVIOUSLY PAINTED SURFACES: with Tri-Lux II Sand with 80 grade (grit) paper. OTHER ANTIFOULINGS Sand surface, wipe clean. Prime with Primocon. Remove antifouling paint in poor condition with Interstrip Semi-Paste 299E.

Method Apply a minimum of 3 coats of Tri-Lux II.

Hints Thinner Bare Wood - Special Thinner 216.
Thinning Spray - Special Thinner 216.
Cleaner Bare Fiberglass - Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202. Bare Wood - Special Thinner 216.
Airless Spray Pressure: 190-204 bar/2800-3000 psi. Tip Size: 0.53 mm/21 thou.
Conventional Spray Pressure Pot: Pressure: 3.44-4.47 bar/50-65 psi (gun pressure); 10-15 psi (pot pressure). Tip Size: 1.8-2.2 mm/70-85 thou.
Other Spraying of antifouling paints is prohibited in Canada. To prevent premature failure, ensure correct amount of paint is applied using the coverage as a guide.

Some Important Points Product temperature should be minimum 10°C/50°F and maximum 29°C/85°F. Ambient temperature should be minimum 10°C/50°F and maximum 35°C/95°F. Substrate temperature should be minimum 10°C/50°F and maximum 29°C/85°F.

Compatibility/Substrates Apply to clean, dry, properly prepared surfaces only. Do not apply Tri-Lux II directly to aluminum. All metal surfaces must be primed with Interprotect 2000E/2001E or Primocon. Do not apply to tin-based paint such as Micron® 33, 44 or Tri-Lux® IIT.

Number of Coats 3 coats Bare Wood: 4 coats (first thinned)

Coverage (Theoretical) - 400 (ft²/Gal) by brush

Recommended DFT 2.0 mils dry
Recommended WFT 3.9 mils wet

Application Methods Brush, Roller, Airless Spray, Conventional Spray (Pressure Pot)

quote:Originally posted by C.S.

Why is that L.C.?
I painted my glass hull with Endura about 6 years back and it still looks great.The only aluminum I painted was all above the water line.

Endura for above the waterline, under water it will usually blister as water can pass through it through osmossis. . It's on the datasheet for the product, and in fact, my White H23 was painted with a similar product. Behind the controls for the kicker, there was a place water could get in and sit, and it blistered up.

Have you heard of the new silicone system they are using on commercial boats, lasts 10 years, its like putting teflon on the bottom, nothing sticks. On Aluminum hull sand sweep to give it a profile, spray 2 primer coats and top coat with silicone, picks up speed, hull is so slippery. If boat sits for months it will get a green slime on it, as soon as you hit 7.5 knots it all falls off.I put the system on my 23 grady and picked up 2 mpg @ cruise. This stuff is the new Antifouling of the future, non toxic, no copper or other nasty stuff. The product if made by Hemple Marine, Hempasil is the trade name. They now use it on bulk carriers, they advertise a super tanker saves 1.25 million dollars on fuel in a year. Only problem you need to be able to spray this system on, and must get the windows right on temperature and drying times, if you screw up the silicone will not bond and falls off in sheets, had this happen on our first try on a commercial boat.

quote:Originally posted by Down 10

Have you heard of the new silicone system they are using on commercial boats, lasts 10 years, its like putting teflon on the bottom, nothing sticks... I put the system on my 23 grady and picked up 2 mpg @ cruise. This stuff is the new Antifouling of the future, non toxic, no copper or other nasty stuff. The product if made by Hemple Marine, Hempasil is the trade name. ...

This sounds like interesting stuff - how expensive is it, and who is providing the service of painting small (26') boats on Vancouver Island?

it has been in the water only foe the day or weekend so there is no growth. I want to paint it with anti fouling paing so I can leave it in the water during the summer, any info would be great

I just bought a 16 foot fiberform it has antifouling paint which is just a mess because its trailered and im not going to leave it in the water does it realy need antifouling paint or is their another product I can paint over it or should I just put another coat of anti fouling paint

quote:Originally posted by darmin

I just bought a 16 foot fiberform it has antifouling paint which is just a mess because its trailered and im not going to leave it in the water does it realy need antifouling paint or is their another product I can paint over it or should I just put another coat of anti fouling paint

You can get bottom paint remover from West Marine, just put a tarp under your boat, spray the stuff on after testing it on a small area, then blast the paint off.

What do you guys recommend for cleaning an aluminum hull after it's been moored for a couple of months and its got some growth (major grass growing [xx(] )

Thanks

Back