Outboard motor welding

Da Bay Bye

I have a question with regard to welding on a older 50 HP Yamaha 2 stroke.

My motor is a 1987 ELH and cracking has started on the forward portion of the lower leg just in front of the water intakes (the area where the water muffs go on) It maybe old but the motor runs like a champ.

Does anyone know if there is sensitive stuff in that area of the lower leg or can it welded at all. I have had the skeg redone but that is much lower.

Thanks

Yes it can be welded, a good member of the forum did my 50hp Honda.
If it's done properly the seals will not be compromised.
The problem you have is internal corrosion that continues to build and eventually
splits the alum gear case.

I had a 50 horse merc done about 35 years ago. worked fine for the life of the engine. can't remember if we removed the internal components first... (gears, etc) but I don't think we did. maybe we just got lucky... damage was done when you get water in your outdrive oil and it expands when it freezes causing the rupture in the leg. best to replace the seals, o-rings, and lower unit gear oil......

I removed the lower unit this morning and cleaned it up. It appears it has been like this for quite some time. The only components close to it is the water intake for the speedo. The boat does not have a speedo so there should be no issue with getting it welded.

Thanks for the input.

you may be tempted to grind it down and blend the weld once it's welded to make it look unnoticeable. I'd caution against that and recommend just leaving the weld alone once welded for strength... maybe give it a touch up with paint..

Back