Our wonderful federal fisheries minister!!!!!huge announcement today

Watched it live...thought I was watching a Monty Python skit...she lost her notes, and repeated dumb answers to great questions on mass marking and MSF. Feeling a tad rudderless, despite what should have been a good news announcement.

She like many cabinet ministers is clueless about her ministry and its mandate and only does what she is told by the PM, his advisors and cabinet. She ignores the science based advice of her staff and defers to the PM's office. Our fisheries now are managed almost entirely by politics not science and sound, sustainable management principles. We need to fight fire with fire and push back politically to bring about needed changes! We need to build stronger alliances within our sector and with other user groups/sectors and communicate the negative impacts the public fishery is having on our coastal communities.

Trying to reason and play and talk nice with DFO IMHO is unfortunately mostly a waste of time as the last 3 years have shown us. Time to start playing tough and political - it is all DFO and the PMO understand and all they will respond to! Don't believe it - look at the success of the lobbying of other sectors, FN's and ENGO's are having versus the rec sector's success over the last 10 years. We can do this if we come together to work together!

Last edited:
She like many cabinet ministers is clueless about her ministry and its mandate and only does what she is told by the PM, his advisors and cabinet. She ignores the science based advice of her staff and defers to the PM's office. Our fisheries now are managed almost entirely by politics not science and sound, sustainable management principles. We need to fight fire with fire and push back politically to bring about needed changes! We need to build stronger alliances within our sector and with other user groups/sectors and communicate the negative impacts the public fishery is having on our coastal communities.

Trying to reason and play and talk nice with DFO IMHO is unfortunately mostly a waste of time as the last 3 years have shown us. Time to start playing tough and political - it is all DFO and the PMO understand and all they will respond to! Don't believe it - look at the success of the lobbying of other sectors, FN's and ENGO's are having versus the rec sector's success over the last 10 years. We can do this if we come together to work together!
I think you meant to say the lack of a public fishery?

Watched it live...thought I was watching a Monty Python skit...she lost her notes, and repeated dumb answers to great questions on mass marking and MSF. Feeling a tad rudderless, despite what should have been a good news announcement.
I have been trying to find the interview. Any chance you have a link?

Back