Osoyoos Lake

I'm coming up from Sat to thur and will have my 6 & 8 yr old boys with me. Taking my ocean rig (18' hewes). kids are pumped as I don't often get them out on the ocean here due to the conditions but have a couple quick questions. I'll have my boat at the holiday inn right in the middle of the lake so looking at the regs it looks like its only open on the north side (ie. the side the holiday inn is on). roughly what area of the lake is fished or should I assume i'll see the mass of boats and take it from there? I saw one note on the fishery page that showed a max size restriction but when I read the fishery notice it simply says 4 per day with no mention of size....therefore, I assume there is no size restriction. maybe the size restriction was in reference to kokanee???? I'll be in a green on green hewes with a couple wild kids so if you see me give me a wave.

I will be out there 20' white thunder jet VHF 68 or 6 obsession is the name. Anywhere north of the bridge to nkmip creek there will be at least 50 boats so we won't be hard to find. You will be one of many in the Hewescraft there is also a commercial boat working the water with a seine.

Fished from 7to 10 and got nothing. Saw a few caught but not by us. Try tomorrow earlier I guess. I hope you guys did better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't try to hard got out there around 930 had 3 on that spit the hook and gave a downrigger ball to the lake. Lots of fish were caught lots of my friends boated 8-12 fish.

See how it goes tomorrow. We didn't make it too far north today. Tomorrow we will go further up the lake.

Fished from 7to 10 and got nothing. Saw a few caught but not by us. Try tomorrow earlier I guess. I hope you guys did better.

What gear are you using and how deep were you fishing? Limits all around today up by the Creek for us, near the boundary.

Was using a smaller Gibbs dodger with a pink hootchy 13 inch leader. Tryed between 50' and 70' mostly 60'. I am going to try more line between the dodger and the clip. Also I might try a red hotspot instead of the dodger. Going to launch further up lake and earlier tomorrow.

Got two today so a little better. Seems like some boats couldn't keep them off their line while others had one or two or none. Trolled right beside a boat for a while same speed same depth and virtually the same gear while they landed 5 fish in about 15 min and no one else near had anything. Had one bigger one that actually pulled a little. Beautiful morning on the water.

Wondering if anybody has been out lately, and if they have, how the fishing is. And how are the fish, still fairly clean, or have the darkened right up. Planning on coming out Thurs to Saturday, just wondering of its still worth it.

They are a little dark but the meat is fine. Last kick at the can this weekend

About 40 or so boats out yesterday morning and pleasantly surprised to see generally good behaviour both on the water and at the ramp. Even the wake boats and jet skis stayed out toward shoreline rather than blasting past close to trolling boats. We had limited time and still got four fish plus had a couple more pop loose close in. Hits were sporadic for us but there were double headers when it was on. No fishfinder to be had so was hard to know where to be.

Ya fishing was great today got my to biggest of the year. Brought out some new fisherman today and we went 5 for 17 but was fun!!

Late update but I just got back from being up there for the past week. I did manage to get out 4 times with a pile of kids which was hilarious to say the least and only fished about 1.5-2 hours max before the kids started driving me nuts. managed to hook quite a few and lost a lot due to the 6 year olds manning the rods after I set the hook in. I started with fishing the dodger style and short leaders and squirts. did ok on that but then put it up against my coast ocean sockeye setup and did very well. I fished two downriggers each with 2 double pairs of flashers. then two rods on each rigger. I used my typical 11" flashers with about 24" leader and scented MP15's and MP16's. didn't find that one worked better than the other. I did find that the early morning fish were around 40' - 60' and then later than 10ish I dropped the riggers to 100'. the fish seemed to graph at all depths but I did better at 40-60 early and then deeper than 60' later in the day. but this is just on the 4 short outings and my first ever trip up there. I can only hope that fishery goes strong for our next trips up there. So great to fish minus the waves and tides.

Late update but I just got back from being up there for the past week. I did manage to get out 4 times with a pile of kids which was hilarious to say the least and only fished about 1.5-2 hours max before the kids started driving me nuts. managed to hook quite a few and lost a lot due to the 6 year olds manning the rods after I set the hook in. I started with fishing the dodger style and short leaders and squirts. did ok on that but then put it up against my coast ocean sockeye setup and did very well. I fished two downriggers each with 2 double pairs of flashers. then two rods on each rigger. I used my typical 11" flashers with about 24" leader and scented MP15's and MP16's. didn't find that one worked better than the other. I did find that the early morning fish were around 40' - 60' and then later than 10ish I dropped the riggers to 100'. the fish seemed to graph at all depths but I did better at 40-60 early and then deeper than 60' later in the day. but this is just on the 4 short outings and my first ever trip up there. I can only hope that fishery goes strong for our next trips up there. So great to fish minus the waves and tides.

It really is unique, baking hot sun, calm water and Fish, then stop for fresh fruit and veggies on the way home, a bottle of wine and a round of golf. Sometimes I feel lucky to live in the Valley.

Back